1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel C4 Chapter 6 Integration L 34

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pipipi, May 17, 2011.

1. pipipi

pipipi New commenter

I having a brain melt on this question.

For the second bit the solution shows sin^2 t cos t, to be integrated.
    And the next line has the answer to this as sin^3 t .
    It has gone a bit too fast for me to keep up there. Can anyone fill in the steps please?

2. KYP

KYP New commenter

Hmm ... I think it should be (sin^3 t)/3. It's the inverse chain rule. cos t is the derivative of sin t, so (sin t)^3 differentiates to 3(sin t)^2 * cos t . Hard to explain in writing!

3. pipipi

pipipi New commenter

Thanks KYP. The solution does have 1/3 as the coefficient but like you, I'm having trouble typing it correctly.
    Will take a look at the inverse chain rule. Thanks!

4. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

If still in doubt, use the substitution u = sin(t). Not forgetting to find the necessary replacement for dt in terms of du.
    Bric

5. sin^3x is written as often promoted as sinx(1-cos^2x) in C4 and sin^2x as 1/2(1-cos2x)

6. beedge

beedge New commenter

I think some of the responses to your question are a bit more techinical than they need to be. Particularly if you start integrating a product.
    If you differentiate something like (sin x)^5 you get 5 (sinx)^4 cos x
    So if you have to integrate (sin x)^2 cos x, then you need to recognise that this has come from (sin x)^3 differentiated - more or less.
    Derrivative of (sin x)^3 = 3(sinx)^2 cos x
    Therefore integral of (sinx)^2 cos x = 1/3 (sin x)^3
    I think the textbooks do give a general form of integrating A(sinx)^n cos x - but it seems like one more formula to learn. I wouldn't bother with it.