1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Business GCSE new SOW for linear

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by a keen mirth, Jun 14, 2013.

1. I am about to re-write our SOW for this qualification in light of the new linear approach. It seems to me that some of the unit 1 and unit 3 content could be grouped together?

Has anyone attempted this exercise?

2. michael102

michael102 New commenter

Hi

I did this over the summer last year and decided to teach it in functions, so human resources, marketing, finance, production seems to have worked pretty nicely!

3. going grey quickly

going grey quickly New commenter

The problem is (and Edexcel have warned about it) is the CA is based on Unit 1 learning, therefore students may not be answering their CA question based on just Unit 1 and bring in aspects of unit 3. For this reason, we have left ours as seperate units

4. Hi

The Chief Examiner had a go at doing this last year and posted it on the qual page - www.edexcel.com/.../default.aspx

You can find it under Teacher support Materials.

Colin Leith

Edexcel

5. going grey quickly

Colin, in the recording for the CA Standardisation online event, there is a clear warning about doing this becuase of the CA questions - what is the position as I am confused as to the best course of action to take

6. Yes, the danger is that the students might lose the small business focus when doing the CA. This assumes that the CA was being done at the end of Year 10. Although June/July of Year 10 has been popular, many teachers have done the CA during Year 11 to benefit from the greater maturity of the students. These students will have had to cope with filtering out large business concepts.

I'm not sure that there can be just one approach to this.

Colin

7. We have had a go and ordered it primarily by function. We will teach it constantly reminding the students of the difference and significance of large or small business and recap the relevant unit 1 content before the CA.

Thanks for the advice

Colin, when do the CA tasks applicable to the year 10's get published?

Many thanks

8. We have had a go and ordered it primarily by function. We will teach it constantly reminding the students of the difference and significance of large or small business and recap the relevant unit 1 content before the CA.

Thanks for the advice

Colin, when do the CA tasks applicable to the year 10's get published?

Many thanks

9. going grey quickly

they have been published for a couple of months now; available on the website

10. The 2014 tasks were posted on the web site on Jan 31, 2013.

The 2015 tasks will be posted on Jan 31, 2014.

11. This is an interesting discussion to find as I am currently redesigning the SoW for AS to reflect the lack of Jan exams. Does anyone else teach AS and planning on doing this?