1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Biology Unit 4 Exam

Discussion in 'Science' started by juhi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Quick question.... are Edexcel allowed to assess across different Units in an examination? The Unit 4 paper on The Natural environment had questions about the structure of Cellulose....content from Unit 2! Is this acceptable?

Thanks

2. Hi all,

Quick question.... are Edexcel allowed to assess across different Units in an examination? The Unit 4 paper on The Natural environment had questions about the structure of Cellulose....content from Unit 2! Is this acceptable?

Thanks

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yes - since they stopped the synoptic paper, they said there will be questions on AS units in A2 exams.
    There was a time when exam papers covered more than the previous 6 months work on a regular basis.

4. Yup, what Mangleworzle said. I warn my A2s on a very regular basis that they can be expected to recall a given area of the AS syllabus on their A2 exams.

So for example AS natural selection can feed into A2 speciation, AS structure of the heart can feed into A2 cardiac cycle, and as you identified, AS structure of cellulose can feed into A2 carbon cycle.

5. sep2

sep2 New commenter

Yes as the above posters said.
    It is clear that lots of people are not aware though as if you read the thread on the student rooms forum lots of students are complaining about that and the paper in general.
    They have even set up a facebook group to complain about it (think they only have a few members though)

What did you think of the paper overall?

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It seemed fair. A bit frustrated that despite the fact we are supposed to cover photosynthesis in biochemical detail, they only ever ask "related" questions, the couple of short answers were the only direct ones out of several papers in a row on this subject.

7. It did seem fair, although my students were extremely relieved that the specific immune response did not come up in any detail. I do find myself wondering why I spend so much time and energy teaching them the Calvin cycle when I can't say I recall seeing any questions since the new spec began that specifically asked about it.

Ah well, now we get on to Unit 5, accompanied by the World's Worst Textbook, chock-a-block full of errors... We'll probably have no questions on Krebs or glycolysis in the final exam, and they'll get bogged down in the electron transport chain *headdesk*.

8. Ah well, now we get on to Unit 5, accompanied by the World's Worst Textbook, chock-a-block full of errors...

Which textbook is that? the green A2 one from Edexcel?