1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Biology Exam This morning.

Discussion in 'Science' started by sep2, Jan 11, 2011.

1. sep2

sep2 New commenter

Hello
    I have not seen the exam so I just wondered what people thought of it.

My students complained about the last question (something to do with a primary structre of an enzyme) and I am guessing they just forgot to apply the fact that an enzyme is a protein.

One really bright student said there was a graph to interpret solubility of something and it was "looking at blobs on a page and was well confusing". No idea what that was.

What was the core practical question(s)?

Did anyones students get flustered with the no calculator rule (one of mine did but I said did you need it and she said no!). I looked at the previous papers and they say may use a calculator but this one didn't (so exams officer said they couldn't use them obviously and it doesn't say they can use one in the little booklet on what they need for the exam). I assume that means there were no calculations in the paper which could be a good or bad thing.

2. Paper seemed ok, only had a quick scan. Very surprised there was nothing on cystic fibrosis and protein synthesis! guess they can't put everything in.
    Quite a large number of questions based on the heart and circulation stuff!

PS, solubility question with blobs on a page also confused me a bit till i studied it for a while longer!

3. sep2

sep2 New commenter

Yes had alook today. Paper is very heart/circulator question heavy.

The last enzyme question was fair

Graph on solubility was quite tough, I think it required quite a bit of skill to answer.