1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel AS Level Product Design: Graphics 'Investigation'

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by plmccahi, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Dear all,

I am in the process of reviewing what we currently deliver for the Product Investigation component of the AS Level Product Design: Graphics course.
    Just wondering what other schools offer as possible products to investigate to ensure the full marks are being met?

We have previously kept to the product design route, but wanted to focus more on a 'Graphic Product'.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated that have worked well and offer enough scope with the variety of materials and manufacture.

Thanks.

2. Dear all,

I am in the process of reviewing what we currently deliver for the Product Investigation component of the AS Level Product Design: Graphics course.
    Just wondering what other schools offer as possible products to investigate to ensure the full marks are being met?

We have previously kept to the product design route, but wanted to focus more on a 'Graphic Product'.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated that have worked well and offer enough scope with the variety of materials and manufacture.

Thanks.

3. Hi. We have tried various ideas over the last couple of years, but I think the most successful has been a drinks bottle as the main product e.g. a 500ml Coke, Fanta or water bottle etc and a can - 330ml fizzy drink, for comparison. These products seem to be similar enough to compare but different enough in form and materials. There is also plenty of information available about the materials and manufacturing processes.
    Like you, I am currently reviewing our choice of coursework, but for the product manufacture - any good ideas for products which have been successful?

4. Chocolate boxes are good, with vac formed tray. As long as there are at least 2 materials and a comparable product, I let the students choose what they want to analyse for this section.
    Have you been on an Edexcel course, bloody expensive but very useful.

5. We do board games. Monoploy, Kerplunk etc. They probably have too many materials in if you listen to Edexcel's advice however, the kids enjoy doing them more than a very simple product. For the second variation product they need to compare it to for the specification we use a wooden version of the boardgame... these can usually be found if you do a Google image search.
    The board games are them good for the students to practise their new found orthographic/isometric.2 point perspective skills.... etc. I add these to the folder to.
    Andy