1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel AS Level Performance Submitting a Score

Discussion in 'Music' started by emma_watson225, May 4, 2012.

1. Hope everyone is doing well and managing to keep their hair on!
    Despite my request for all students to perform off a score, of course there was someone who didn't!!
    Student performed a popular song using just the lyrics and very much made the performance her own by mainly changing the pitch in a few of the phrases. What should I submit as a score? Any advice? Have wondered whether to get a copy of the melody part off the internet, but then her accuracy marks will go through the floor. Could the student highlight sections and state that they were creating their own interpretation for just that phrase?
    Hope this makes sense - cannot wait to send everything off! Final push!!

2. Hope everyone is doing well and managing to keep their hair on!
    Despite my request for all students to perform off a score, of course there was someone who didn't!!
    Student performed a popular song using just the lyrics and very much made the performance her own by mainly changing the pitch in a few of the phrases. What should I submit as a score? Any advice? Have wondered whether to get a copy of the melody part off the internet, but then her accuracy marks will go through the floor. Could the student highlight sections and state that they were creating their own interpretation for just that phrase?
    Hope this makes sense - cannot wait to send everything off! Final push!!

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That sounds fine to me. The accuracy mark should not be affected as the Teachers' Guide specifically says:
    Deviations from the score in jazz/rock and musical theatre numbers will generally be accepted where they are considered to be stylistically convincing.

4. I think it depends how different the line is from what is performed. This is more of a problem with guitarists, who play a song and then download a lead sheet which doesn't actually represent what they played. If the moderator cannot follow the part they will get in touch and ask for something a bit closer to the performance.

5. Thank you both [​IMG]