1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel AS Foundations

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by rainbowsandrain, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I am starting as an NQT in September and have just got my timetable. I will be teaching Year 12 the Investigations part of the AS course and was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to teach it/what kind of timescale to work to as I have no experience of it and am feeling a little lost.
    My department haven't really given me any guidance yet, but I've read up about it on the Edexcel website. My understanding is that I will need to prepare students for a 1hr 15 min exam on a topic related to medical ethics, which in my case will be abortion. I will have three 45 min lessons a week with them.
    My initial thoughts are to do a few introductory lessons on 'What is ethics'? and absolute/relative morality before going through each of the ethical theories (Natural Law, Utilitarianism, Situation Ethics). Then, around November I would introduce the idea of abortion - sanctity of life, personhood, rights and responsibilities, social issues etc, then do exam practice.
    Does this seem reasonable? Does anyone have any guidance on how many lessons should be spent on each topic? I am keen to do well in my NQT year and I am very conscious that I don't want to let the students down - I am really feeling the sense of responsibility of being a 'real teacher' rather than a trainee and want to do my best for myself, my school and my students.

2. Hi everyone,
    I am starting as an NQT in September and have just got my timetable. I will be teaching Year 12 the Investigations part of the AS course and was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to teach it/what kind of timescale to work to as I have no experience of it and am feeling a little lost.
    My department haven't really given me any guidance yet, but I've read up about it on the Edexcel website. My understanding is that I will need to prepare students for a 1hr 15 min exam on a topic related to medical ethics, which in my case will be abortion. I will have three 45 min lessons a week with them.
    My initial thoughts are to do a few introductory lessons on 'What is ethics'? and absolute/relative morality before going through each of the ethical theories (Natural Law, Utilitarianism, Situation Ethics). Then, around November I would introduce the idea of abortion - sanctity of life, personhood, rights and responsibilities, social issues etc, then do exam practice.
    Does this seem reasonable? Does anyone have any guidance on how many lessons should be spent on each topic? I am keen to do well in my NQT year and I am very conscious that I don't want to let the students down - I am really feeling the sense of responsibility of being a 'real teacher' rather than a trainee and want to do my best for myself, my school and my students.

3. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

I teach the Edexcel investigations 'Science and Religion' Unit and can give you some guidance.
    The exam is 50% and you are correct in saying that the exam will be for 1hr 15minutes where they can only answer one question - it's a bit like an extended essay. The time scale does vary, in my experience I spent around 17 lessons on the investigations unit. For me the key was for them to practice with the essay writing from the first lesson and build it up that way.
    Your introductory lessons are fine but I would not hang about simply because you don't have a great deal of time. I would strongly recommend you purchase the Edexcel AS Religious studies book for teachers...it is quite expensive but worth the investment.
    My advice would be to recall past exam papers from students at your school who sat the exam paper this year. Presumably they would have sat it? It is always a good idea to recall exam papers to share with your students - top/middle/bottom and go through it with them.
    As a matter of interest who is teaching the Philosophy of Religion?

4. JodiP

JodiP Occasional commenter

I also teach the Science and Religion unit - Faldamir12 would you be interested in sharing resources?

What do you do for Foundations?

5. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

I am more than happy to share resources with you as we teach this course to Year 11 students who sit the exam in the same year.
    At Foundation we teach....Cosmological/Design/Miracles/Problem of evil and Utilitarianism/Situation Ethics etc at Ethics.
    Pm me and we can can discuss this more.

6. Thank you for your advice.

A more experienced teacher will be teaching the Philosophy of Religion - why do you ask?

7. hey could you please send me some resources i am a private candidate studying the science and religion topic for inviestgations unit 2 could you please send me some resources?