1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel AS/A2 Music Technology

Discussion in 'Music' started by performerscollective, Aug 17, 2012.

1. We had the same thing happen last year (one student with something around D took his work to his uni interview where they said it was near professional quality). Luckily this year it seems to be a little more even. I'd say appeal the mark, but in truth it didn't get us very far and I wouldn't want to raise your hopes. I am very very sorry for your A2 candidate.

2. Sadly this situation is indicative of a long-standing problem: There are few examiners/assessors who are expert enough to grade fairly. If a student had created something using an obscure or highly original method then one can understand that problems might occur. Given that a good proportion of courswork evidences predictable, conventional use of music tech' it is regretable that more examiners are not able to assess it appropriately.

3. We have had exactly the same, we are getting the chief examiner in and questioning these results. My background is actually in the music industry as opposed to the teaching side and i have been spending the last couple of weeks trying to find a common link within the marking.... and literally can not. If you would be interested in sending me some pieces you were surprised by, it would very much reinforce my point to the chief examiner. Many thanks for your post

4. Can I re-open this discussion. My marks were totally random this year. What is going on ? has anyone else had this happen this year? Grade A students getting Cs and grade C students getting As.