1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Applied Unit 3 (6957)

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by HappyHippy, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Just sat and worked through the model - once I figured out that I need to strip the £ symbol from the first text file it was pretty straightforward. £5mil + with practice data and Tesco fuel prices.

2. Just sat and worked through the model - once I figured out that I need to strip the £ symbol from the first text file it was pretty straightforward. £5mil + with practice data and Tesco fuel prices.

3. Would you mind enlightening me - or sending me your model?

Many thanks

cmorgans@maltingsacademy.org

4. p1ppaj

p1ppaj New commenter

Just looking at the new model and scenario. What past exam do you guys think it is sounding like? Deer Valley?

Would appreciate any insights you might have and will share any that I stumble across!

Thanks

5. p1ppaj

p1ppaj New commenter

Also, anyone noticed anything bizarre? Anything hidden??

6. Am currently working on the model! Not sure how to calculate the cost per litre for the fuel sheet and would appreciate any help!! Or alternatively could you send me your model! j.gibbon@alsophigh.org.uk
    Many thanks

7. staxis

staxis New commenter

You just have to make up the cost of fuel.

8. dani2006

dani2006 New commenter

Any attempts you guys have a model please let me know!
    b_bayeh@hotmail.com

9. I don't mean to be rude, but it does worry me just how many people are already requesting a completed model. If you find it difficult to complete the model yourself then just giving you the 'answers' won't help. Once you've cracked the £ sign issue it takes maybe 1/2 an hour to go from scratch to a completed model with a reasonable fit.

Added to that, the only way to obtain the model is through the secure gateway at Edexcel - nobody should be passing files around at this point without being absolutely certain that the person on the other end really should have access.

10. sparker07732

sparker07732 New commenter

The main oddity I have noticed is that the survey practise data is based on cost/mile, whereas the rest of the spreadsheet is based on km. Do you think this is a typo or are the students supposed to convert to cost/km as part of the task.
    Also, relatively new to this, are there any restrictions to using Solver to arrive at a solution?

11. Knowing Edexcel it could go either way - but well spotted.

I've never used Solver but trial and error worked for me and didn't take too long using a binary chop and going to 2sf. It's worth noting that the routes in the second half are effectively the same as the routes in the first half, just in the other direction.

12. sparker07732

sparker07732 New commenter

Ta, I'm assuming its a typo for now!
    Used solver and managed to get just over £6.5m weekly profit based on £1 per litre of fuel, I'm in the wrong business!!!
    Can't imagine many takers at the prices they'd be charging though.

13. I agree that this looks pretty straightforward and is quite similar to the Laura Elle scenario, especially in terms of survey data and maximising profit.

The £ sign problem is easily solved by not using the fill handle to copy the data across in one go - use a cell ref for the first 2 rows and then the fill handle and it doesn't happen.

14. p1ppaj

p1ppaj New commenter

Trying to work thrrough the model now. Not sure if I am looking to deeply at it.
    Are people using the goal seek/solver facilities?
    Individual IF statements for individual flights?
    Using the survey data to find out at what cost per mile passengers start to drop out? Or should this data be used for something else? We are focusing on keeping full capacity of passengers - is this the right strategy or should we be thinking about making a loss on some flights to boost profits on others?
    Do we really need to convert km to miles or do we think this is a typo?
    Thanks

15. I very much doubt Solver will be available to students in the exam.
    I got just short of £6.5m by adding columns and formulae to the passengers worksheet for each flight and using £1 per litre of fuel
    This is how I will teach my students to find their solution.
    Teaching them the use of an in-built tool is dangerous as it may not b available to your students in the exam. e.g. auto sum is disabled in the exam.

16. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I have to agree with HH here. The whole point of the model is to come up with a solution using it.
    Haven't spotted an issue. A straight import as per every other year works fine in Excel, not tried it with OO yet.
    Have to agree with this too. As Meatloaf (1977) might say "2/3 ain't bad".
    A bit too much agreement going on, the snow days have affected my brian. Harvard referencing song lyrics - I *reallly* have to get out more!!

17. Maybe it's an Excel 2004 thing (Macs, who'd put them in a school, eh?), but the £ signs stay in and force the cells to be treated as text. Spent ages picking apart the nested VLOOKUP and MATCH formulae to pinpoint the error - only to find it was a foible my version of Excel (they'll be using 2003 in the exam). Ho-hum...

18. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

I get £6.5 million using solver in 2010, however our school system does not allow it to be added-in (as for legitimacy, it's a legitimate part of the software, rather like help, so there really can be no complaint unless it is made explicit you can not use it?).
    Using the max occupancy figures you look at about £3.5 million, so you can not rely on a formula that looks at the highest cost you will get all the people on the plane for as you want Max Profit (maybe required in the report (if it is a report) to explain why max occupancy is not neccessarily a good thing - compare profits from max seat number and max profit). Logical trial and error the thing to do.
    As for marking, there prob will be a sliding scale of marks, like last year's basketball timings (being there after 11:45 but before 11:59am = 2 marks, before 12:00pm = 1 mark)
    The spreadsheet seems fairly easy, but waiting for the sting in the tail like with June's letter / chart / memo.

19. Yes, as I stated before, I added columns in the passenger spreadsheet, calculating where the maximum revenue was (by multiplying the price/mile by the number of passengers) and the used that for my price.

20. Yes, as I stated before, I added columns in the passenger spreadsheet, calculating where the maximum revenue was (by multiplying the price/mile by the number of passengers) and the used that for my price.