1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Applied Science BTEC - Lead IV accrediation

Discussion in 'Science' started by jhayward1978, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Did anyone else do the Lead IV accreditation tests for Science this month?
    I don't agree with a lot of the answers in the commentary - at least two of the assignments don't match the detail in the specification, yet they commentary says they did.
    The same thing seems to have happened for Business and I was wondering if there were any science people out there with similar experiences.

2. Did anyone else do the Lead IV accreditation tests for Science this month?
    I don't agree with a lot of the answers in the commentary - at least two of the assignments don't match the detail in the specification, yet they commentary says they did.
    The same thing seems to have happened for Business and I was wondering if there were any science people out there with similar experiences.

3. Yes, I did and was suprised to learn that I had not achieved accreditation. Having looked at it closely I can see that there are several errors. The places I 'lost marks' (i.e. disagreed with the Senior Standards Verifier) was in areas where it would make no difference to the outcome (e.g. standards for a merit partially met vs not met - either way it's still not been met!)
    Furious that we now have to send off a sample. I will be having stern words with whichever poor verifier is assigned to us.

4. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm Head of Science, and my BTEC coordinator is in the very same situation. He is furious that he 'failed' for the very same reasons you're discussing here - in fact I'll be pointing him towards this forum!
    The disparities here do seem very strange and I think we should all appeal!
    Mark

5. TRJ

TRJ New commenter

if OSCA2 was passed, what are the chances that BTEC will ask for a sample of work?

6. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

I'm not doing the Level 2 one, a colleague is, but am doing the Level 3 forensics one. I went through the two practice papers and got on fine with them.
    Were the practice papers for this one as screwy as you are all saying the exam was? I was feeling confident, but maybe not so now [​IMG]

7. I'm about to do the lead IV exam for science L3 in the curent window. Can we discuss answers - or is that a bit naughty?

8. I am doing the L2 window at the moment and am now quite scared!!!

any advice appriciated

9. i am doing that window aswell for the level 2 and from the comments i feel the same

10. Has any one seen the possible mistake in the unit 2 task, in the B section it starts mentioning P3 where verything else is aimed at P3.

Is this a mistake do you think?

11. It may be a mistake or it may be to make sure that you have looked carefully at whether it is P3 or P4.

A lot of the Q's look a bit handwavey to me - not impressed.

12. Has anyone been in touch with edexcel over this

13. Did edexcel *** in and what did they say

14. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

I'm not going to comment directly on this window as I'm entering it but suffice to say I'm very angry with it all.

15. I looking for someone to help me with he comentary the provided for the practice materials in 2010.

16. I looking for someone to help me with he comentary the provided for the practice materials in 2010. In particular the Unit 3, biology commentary. If youhave the answers saved somewhere and could help me out by forwarding them via email, i would be very grateful.

Thanks, Jon

17. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

Are the materials not on the OSCA site? I can't check because I only get access to level 1 materials. I wouldn't worry too much - I failed my OSCA2 last term and the world didn't stop turning.... :)

18. Hi - I did the test and like you I too disagreed with the
    detail. In
    particular, we were told that the assessor and student should sign to verify every
    assignment. Other discrepancies highlighted that the assessor and IV missed the
    detail in the unit spec - the student did not fulfil all of the spec
    requirements. I'm not convinced the student covered the work as set out in the
    ass.brief, rather than just copy irrelevant notes out of a text book. I have passed, but have to submit assignments for further
    assessment.
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font>