1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Applied ICT Unit 7

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by eurythmic, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    Am teaching this unit independently for the first time this year (taught alongside a senior colleage last year who has now retired). Last year I was new to it all, had done databases at uni but in a far more theoretical way with SQL rather than using Access or similar to create forms, sub-forms, macros, etc. It was all a steep learning curve! The challenge was enjoyable and I am getting my teeth into it again now, working through some past papers to try and increase my confidence before teaching it. I am feeling the pressure, however, of having to be 100% with it all as I have no colleagues to turn to to help me problem-solve, etc!
    Anyway, last year we taught the unit by working through the exercises in the Heathcote, Farrell and Dunn book, but I found them really hard to get my head around and so did the kids - the PRS example gets very complex and unless you are familiar with the detail of how a warehouse works (which I am not and my students are not either!) then I think it is quite hard to get your head around the scenario, let alone come up with appropriate database solutions. I was wondering if anyone had found any other good resources/exercises to use when teaching this unit. I would be very grateful for any suggestions!

Thanks,
    S

2. Hi,
    I am now teaching the Applied ICT course for the first time and am in a similar situation to you last year. I have got the book by Heathcote Farrell and Dunn but am finding it all too confusing.
    In particular I am struggling with macros and don't know where to start with teaching basic Access macros. Have you got any worksheets/tasks/information to get the pupils started? They have covered macros before, but not in Access and I have never come across it before.
    :-/