1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Applied ICT Unit 7 exam Jan 2012

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by DEmsley, Dec 5, 2011.

1. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

The wording of "task 3" looks to have it the wrong way round.
    I'd pick a student, check available visits, see if places available and only offer ones that are.
    Will an autonumber (in Access) be acceptable in "task 2"? Board seems to like the use of DMAX but this is not necessary surely?

2. Sorry, my fault that the thread disappeared. I was advised that I gave too much away about generating the Student ID so I asked the mods to delete my post. Helpfully, they deleted the whole thread :(
    Anyway, on first look I think it looks good, There are lots of elements used in previous exams (Deer Valley, Dolphin Theatre).
    It will surely need to be Max plus one for it to be sequential with existing data?

3. I'd say for the payment id an autonumber would be fine. Task 1 needs a dcount or dmax for the student id so that covers that marking criteria.
    I'm worried that I can only really see two tables in the database - students and payments. The trip selected I think is an attribute of student because once they choose the first trip (say 15th Eiffel) their second trip is already defined (say 16th Louvre) unless they are allowed to not go on particular trips (which you could handle in the evaluation!). Worried that this would not be complicated enough for the assessment criteria. Any thoughts?

4. Never has been 2 tables before!
    I have 4 tables but have decided that there are only 2 records in the Visit table for the same reason as above:
    There are lots of things that are wierd with the whole scenario (as usual?) like Passport number could be PK but they want a StudentID instead?

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

One of my students said that the trip could get the emergency and passport details later (as we do here) but that's contradicted by the scenario that says it's required.
    There has to be a trips table and there could be another trip added to it as part of a question. Bear in mind this is a prototype so has to cater for that possibility. Something to write about in the evaluation methinks.

6. I was thinking to use an autonumber in task 1! Why not? With each new record a sequencial increment can be generated and then concatentated on to whatever the chosen method is to generate the string component. It's quick, it's simple, it satisfies the requirement.

7. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I agree but given the way the exam board had set the mark scheme in past years I'd use the tried and trusted (and usually marked as the only correct answer) DMAX function.

8. Because normally you are given an existing number in the text file and it needs to be sequential to that number, an autonumber would not satisfy this?

9. Taking that point on board, I have a solution that uses DMAX using the Code Builder on a Form. No Queries, just entry in to a form and some VBA to realise a counter, concatenation and formating. Three lines of code. Does that sound appropriate? I'm new to this unit!

10. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

If you look at previous mark schemes you had bizarre mark allocations based on:
    <font face="Trebuchet MS" size="3">A14 </font><font face="Trebuchet MS" size="3">New CustomerID allocated (query) </font><font face="Trebuchet MS" size="3">1</font><font face="Trebuchet MS" size="3">
    </font>[/b]<font face="Trebuchet MS" size="3">New ContractID allocated (query) </font><font face="Trebuchet MS" size="3">1</font><font face="Trebuchet MS" size="3">A17 </font><font face="Trebuchet MS" size="3">Macro to run query to generate new ContractID </font><font face="Trebuchet MS" size="3">1 (Jan 2010)</font><font face="Trebuchet MS" size="3"> Therefore the better method of using the default value didn't get credited.
    However in Jan 2011 the mark scheme allowed for many alternative methods:
    <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="7"><tr><td>This is the generation of the primary key.
    <font face="Trebuchet MS,Trebuchet MS" size="3">It may have been done:
    &bull; on the form
    &bull; using a query
    &bull; using Format + autonumber
    </font></td></tr><tr><td><font face="Trebuchet MS,Trebuchet MS" size="3">Eg using form or query
    </font>="ORD" & Right(Max([Order Number],3))+1
    <font face="Trebuchet MS,Trebuchet MS" size="3">Right is fine even though any higher than 999 would not really work properly
    &ndash; don&rsquo;t penalise for not thinking past the data in the tables.
    </font><font face="Trebuchet MS,Trebuchet MS" size="3">
    </font>
    </td></tr></table>
    Hope this makes sense.
    </font>

11. I also see just the 2 tables - student and payment - I did think of a visit table but that is a 1:1 so not needed. I think autonumber is fine for Payment - it's the way we are doing it at moment.

12. Has anyone created any text files for practice import?

13. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Possible but never been done before. They could have to add a third trip in which case this would necessitate a trips table.

Also being asked to create a *prototype* and therefore it ought to be able to add extra visits (IMHO).

14. Only if it's a single user system.

15. roblomp

roblomp New commenter

Just to let you know that the text files are available so you can set up user areas in preparation for exam.

16. Where are these?

Also who else has started the exam?

17. Where are these?

18. How can i access the files if i dont have a username and password. Could you upload them onto here please?

19. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

You'll need to ask your exams officer to sort one out for you but the exam window closes next week and your students will have to their 10 hours in.