1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Applied ICT Unit 3 exam Jan 2012

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by colwynexile, Dec 1, 2011.

1. On the Ratings sheet, there is a column for Pool size. I am assuming that you are looking at the '0's for the 3 properties to argue that you should not be paying maintenance for these properties. Something occured to me about that.
    The column says 'Pool size', not 'Pool' Y/N. So may be the rating indicates just how big the pool is, not if there is a pool or not. Rating of 0 may not neccsarily mean there is no pool, it may just mean that the size is not that good to yield a good point rating. This is being refelcted in lower maintenance costs. That probably should be the case.
    What do you say?[​IMG]

2. The scenario mentions that "One of the properties had a pool, so she arranged etc etc" which suggests that out of the two original properties one didn't. I think DEmsley is spot on in that it is a mistake and the properties with a 0 rating for pool don't have one and hence shouldn't be paying maintenance for them. Should be a nice one to mention in the evaluation.
    What to people think will be lurking in the Activity Two section?

3. The scenario mentions that "One of the properties had a pool, so she arranged etc etc" which suggests that out of the two original properties one didn't. I think DEmsley is spot on in that it is a mistake and the properties with a 0 rating for pool don't have one and hence shouldn't be paying maintenance for them. Should be a nice one to mention in the evaluation.
    What to people think will be lurking in the Activity Two section?

4. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Activity two always talks about data provided. So you've got the Ahhl / aahl / whatever data in the pratice file. So we may well have to talk about the strengths and weaknesses of this data.
    However, I'm starting to think that there will be a second data file (formula that was used by the client) and we'll have to pick the best / select most appropriate / jerry-rig a linking formula, pick one and justify it.

5. Can somebody explain why the last value of each section of the AHHL data is in speech marks please ie"2,000.00", I am using OOCalc, does this treat the data differently to Excel? First timer here please help!

6. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

This is the value of a property with a rating of 100. The top line is for 100% occupancy, the next is 80% occupancy. If it comes up in speech marks, just convert to currency and see what happens.

7. p1ppaj

p1ppaj New commenter

Just looking at the Ratings worksheet and have a couple of questions....
    - Do people think that we will be given the numeric values in which to multiply the rating score for each asset? (Looking at the values G9:G18, the assets are multiplied by various numeric values).
    - The summer peak values in N9:N18 take into consideration the sea rating (L9*4). The winter peak values take into consideration the winter sports rating. Can we presume the ski peak will factor in the winter sports rating?? What would we do for off peak?? Multiply by nothing??
    And on the seasons weeks worksheet, i'm presuming we will be told which properties are suitable for each season? Another data file?

8. Re for the ski peak, yes and it identifies the properties for us, 4,5,6,7.

For off peak i would use all properties and use overall from column g, views and locations column I and J. Is it logical to suggest that they would not want to go into the sea or a pool during the less warm months?

Discuss!

what i would like to know in return, obviously only if this has been of some help, is how we approach the optimal figures, in making recommendations to the boss.

seasons worksheet i expect so but we can calculate how many based on the months available

help appreciated.

9. Yes. Location and views are already covered in the white overall. I did appreciate the beautiful HLOOKUP to get the ideal rent.... a lovely spreadsheet!

10. Hlookup - i have missed that one.

11. p1ppaj

p1ppaj New commenter

I was toying with the idea of HLOOKUP for the rental settings......... or maybe solver? Although I believe some marks can be lost with using solver.
    Anyone tried these two methods yet? It's my next task.

12. HLookup seems to work for me, but I think it needs slight tweaking (80.35 rating would give the 80 ideal rather than the few extra pence...)

13. p1ppaj

p1ppaj New commenter

Done the HLOOKUP........ are you coming up with no revenue for off peak season on the revenue worksheet? Or have I gone wrong somewhere............. Doesn't seem to add up as the formula that is in C8:C17 on revenue, was already in place in the prerelease material.

14. Im sure I am going to take the discussion a bit off track with this question, so I apologise.[​IMG]
    But has anyone noticed that the number of weeks in 'Season Weeks'!B19:E19 do not add up to 52. Does anyone have any idea how to look at this?
    I have a thought; may be someone can jump in and let me kow if I am thinking or the right lines...
    there are some surplus weeks available in certain seasons to do maintenance. (e.g Off peak season has 13 weeks surplus) However, maintenance or repair could be done adhoc in any season, although it is best kept to the minimum in seasons that do not have surplus weeks. this would indicate that we may be given some additional data file for 'Maintenance and repair schedule' and then asked to 'calculate' using a suitable formula the number of weeks available for renting in the Seasons Week. [​IMG]
    By the way, I have figured out that maximum revenue does not necessarily occur at 100% occupancy, nor at 80%. Depending on the rating and the price, the optimal occupancy can range between 80-100%. Anyone else found that too?

15. p1ppaj

p1ppaj New commenter

Scrap that..... sorted my HLOOKUP :)

16. Yup, your SP Calc etc sheet show you where the 100%'s start dropping and so you can see where the best price would actually be.

17. Hi
    Can you point me in the direction for this one in terms of the HLOOKUP people are discussing? I am really struggling.

Cheers

18. Can you please explain more specifilcally how you're using your HLookup? Which sheets / cells? Need some additional help if you could be so kind - been scratching my head for a long time over this [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. I'm really concerned that I am being thick here. This is my 5th year of teaching this exam and my students always do well because each year I sit down with the model and after a bit of a play I understand what it's trying to do.
    But I am flumoxed this year. I've imported the data into a new sheet and use link formulas (i.e. =Import_Data!A3) to bring data into the AHHL sheet. I've worked out that they need to manually enter prices into the rental setting sheet and I have done the very basic SUM function required on the Revenue sheet, but after that I just don't get what I am supposed to do.
    What do you put into season weeks and ratings?
    I know a number of you are mentioning extra data files and formulas that are only going to be given away in the exam, but could this really be the case? They've never done that before have they? Hasn't it always been a case that they provide a model that we can work out and that the only thing that changes when they actually go into the exam is that the values in the data change or they get a number of different sources of the same data and they then have to choose what they consider to be the best option?
    Any help with the two sheets that I am struggling on would be appreciated because I feel lost with this one. The wording of the scenario says that the rating sheet 'is based on formulae provided by the AHHL', so is this really something that is likely to only be released in the actual exam? If so, what are you adding for now as practice, are you just coming up with your own formula that multiplies certain cells by certain values? [​IMG]

20. vornstar

vornstar New commenter

I'm stuck on the Season Weeks worksheet too. Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated.