1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Applied GCE Unit 7 Summer exam '11

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by dk55, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Hi Unit 7ers
    You are right, time to try to second guess the exam and tear what is left of my hair out!!

With that in mind, for Q2. It says only some aspects of the login will be implemented at this prototype stage..........
    Do you think it wants all the four points and then extra ones to be suggested in the exam?

Thoughts
    DK

2. Have put together a provisional er - planning to make a mock up over the weekend. What does everyone make of the sentence in the introduction that implies students will pay for reviews? It's not mentioned again - bad wording? Assuming it is bad wording I can see the solution having four or five tables (depending on whether the same film can be viewed on different Wednesdays). Message your email if you would like to work with me on this.

3. I 'd go for bad wording - besides, it is not asked for in the four tasks. Traditionally, it would be four tables. A clue may be to consider the film details as details of the show including the film itself rather than a video shop type solution. However, I can see how a fifth table would be very tempting to prevent duplication - but might err on the 'prototype' implication having just read the new exemplar on the website.

4. Exemplar being the jan 2011 model example answer.

5. I'm teaching unit 7 for the first time this year. Was hoping for a stock control or ticket ordering system like prevous years. At present I'm assuming that it's 4 tables but have no clue how to tackle Q3 - "Members can make more than one payement......." any thoughts would be gratefully received.

6. A separate table for payments with viewing id as foreign key. When a payment is made run an update query to update total paid in the viewing table.

7. Have I read the scenario right - they're expected to pay £10 to watch each film in an after school club?

8. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Why would you do that? Wouldn't keeping all of the payments and a separate total introduce redundancy? That's the best-case scenario, assuming that there are no problems. At worst, if the payment record is saved but the update query fails for any reason - e.g. due to record locking - then the saved total wouldn't match the actual total.
    If there's a record of all the payments, then I'd have thought that best practice would be to calculate the total on-the-fly if you ever need it.

9. Yes, you're right it would introduce redundancy - I realised that when I started working on the model and in my prototype total is calculated on the fly.

10. I have the following for generating the new customer ID on a form, but it's not quite working for me:
    =Left([LastName],3) & Right(DMax("[MemberNo]","[tblReg]"),4)+1
    where the Registration table (tblReg) already has some customers with membership numbers in the form:
    Jon1001 - for Jones
    Smi1002 - for Smith
    Blo1003 - for Bloggs

It partly works but not fully - any ideas?

11. You don't need the ,4 as you've already asked for the highest number + 1

12. I've created 4 unbound boxes on a form. The first two allow the user to enter a firstname and then surname. The third box calculates the sequential number based on a DMax function. The fourth box creates the username by taking the first letter of the forename, the first four of the surname and the sequential number and joining them. Obviously I have no idea what the format is like but my students should be able to adapt it. Also, if the members need to enter further details I just have unbound boxes for that data which is ready for the query.
    I just now need to create a query which takes this data and appends it to the table.

13. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

In Access 2010 it's easy (must be, I did it) to create a field after appending data called a calculated field, this can then be formated to look at the x number of characters from another field in the table and if needed to add them on (Left([customerid],x) & right([surname],y). This allows you to append the data from the text file and then update the table so all existing records have correct IDs that you can then use as primary keys. I assume you then make the add customer form so you DMax the customer number you appended across and +1 for the new number and if I'm thinknig right it will show the new id number when you save the record.
    However, we use 2003 in school. As I'm not at work I can't remember if this is available, however my sinking heart has the feeling it already knows the answer. If it is right to feel low, if I set the expressions given in previous posts into the New ID box, how would I save this retrospectively into the tblcustomer? And how would I do everyone else that's been entered?

14. My current solution is to have a registration table (tblReg) in the format:
    MemNo, LastName, DOB, UserName, Password
    This is populated with two records:
    1001,Jones,Jim,19/4/94,Jon1001
    1002,Smith,Joe,23/2/94,Smi1002
    My registration form contains all these fields, some bound, some unbound as follows:
    MemNo: =DMax("[MemNo]","tblReg")+1
    LastName: unbound
    DOB: unbound with appropriate validation
    UserName: =Left([LastName],3) & [MemNo]
    Password: unbound with default value of "Teapot" and input mask of "Password"
    All the fields on the form are named appropriately (and obviously!)
    My button runs a macro which in turn runs an append query which adds the contents of this form to tblReg (subject to validation rules being met) as well as displaying a message and closing the form afterwards.

15. For the login bit I am teaching it this way -
    Create a blank query .
    Then make it an append - to wherever the password and username are stored e.g. tblReg'
    You will have to manually choose the fields from the drop down - which is all of them but probably not the default 'teapot' if it is in the table design - not tried yet.
    Manually, or with the build option, add the unbound controls (tmpUsrename etc) from the form - [forms]! etc.
    Then in the macro use - 'is not null' giving "accepted" or 'is null' giving "invalid"'
    If a record is found then a password and username match is a given.
    So, in the macro the mainmenu can be ran etc.
    Might be Grandma and eggs here but new to me as I tried a calling macro which worked at home but not on the school networked system - dunno why.

16. Mixing together the register and login here. Sloppy deleting on my part. Should read -
    Create a select query.
    Ignore 'You will..' sentence.
    Apologies

17. JayEmAy

JayEmAy New commenter

I'll work with you on this if it's not too late? Jon

18. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

You have to have the 4, as this tells the database how many significant figures to use and the function will not work without it. It has nothing to do with DMax+1, so just check you've the right function.

19. Have I missed the discussion on the tables and entity relationships being used? Interested in what this viewing table ID thing nonsense is all about

20. If it's nonsense why are you interested?