1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Applied GCE Unit 3 and 7 January results

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by uselessnerd, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Have just had these through and they are way down on previour performance. No difference in student ability and preparation. I am seriuosly losong faith in this qulification and the marking and moderation which has always been very wayward. Has anyone had a similar experience or can recommend a change of board

2. Hi, I'm Edexcel's ICT Subject Advisor and I'd be happy to discuss this matter with you and see what we can offer to support you.
    You can contact me directly on ICTSubjectAdvisor@EdexcelExperts.co.uk
    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Gareth

3. uselessnerd wrote the following post at 11 March 2010 8:18:
    > Have just had these through and they are way down on previour performance. No difference in student ability and preparation. I am seriuosly losong faith in this qulification and the marking and moderation which has always been very wayward. Has anyone had a similar experience or can recommend a change of board >
    My school are moving to AQA as of next year. It may well backfire as our results are moslty fine but last summer''s moderation was way off IMO. It was not such a problem for AS students but units 8, 10 and 11 were considerably lower than usual and had a significant impact on departing A2 students.
    The irony of this is that I would say this has made me even more picky with very specific aspects of student work that were raised in the moderator's reports.
    Either way we'll learn about the pitfalls/benefits of switching boards.
    Tony

4. Have to say have had a similar experience and may well be following TKB. Still not had anything back from Gareth and am losing patience with the unreliable nature of this qualification

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Variable results but I suspect this is student based rather than the exam in our case. Results are broadly in line with expectations; if a little lower overall.

6. Best results ever in Unit 7 yeeehhh. Pupils really engaged in preparing for the exam. Got 4 As and most others on or above target. Ok - got 2 Us as well, but they went to 2 lazy ********.

7. There's a new Principal Examiner for these units I think. I am a little concerned as the Unit 7 for Jan is quite a bit different from anything I've seen before. Lots and lots of work needed between now and the real exam methinks!

8. I used the new specimen Unit 7 materials that came out with the revamped specificiation as a guide to what the exam might look like and it worked for us.

9. Chad78

Chad78 New commenter

Where can I find these? Have looked but can only see the Green Bay scenario under 'Sample Assessment Materials'.
    Cheers

10. We did both unts 6953, results as good as if not better then last time.
    6957 was much better than any before, and the results up to reflect this.
    Much easier to follow the prerease and the exam.

11. i4004

i4004 New commenter

One has to question the validity of this exam format after looking at the exchanges on

While there were many errors in the suggestions given, there was an open discussion, while the exam was live, of the tables, queries, macros, functions etc that were required. There was also an offer of £100 for the solution.
    The forum moderator made a warning post but was unlikely to have been able tell what was a breach of exam security and what was not.
    One character, Kemzow, who had asked for help on this forum, later proudly announced his grade A.

12. I can only corroborate all you say. We have had an absurd set of results for Unit 3 which have caused all staff and students at our centre to reel in disbelief. One of our stars - grade 8 piano, 11 A* GCSE, 4 A at A/S came out with an E. It is utterly baffling.
    The moderation for this suject is lazy, random and almost contemptuous of the students.
    If I can ditch this risible qualification I will do so unhesitatingly.Our centre is seriously considering going to the press about it.
    Thanks for your post, which is one of several expressing profound dissatisfaction, I notice, for this subject.
    Any feedback gratefully recieved.
    Catherine.

13. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

That Grade 8 would have been great use in an ICT exam...