1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

edexcel A2 revision Aural Awareness

Discussion in 'Music' started by floyd1985, May 16, 2011.

1. hello
    i've been doing renaissance recordings practice papers with my year 13s and i'm beginning to get a little frustrated (and they are!!!!) with the ambiguity of the questions, ie. sometimes it will ask to "identify the chord at bar..." but there is nothing to tell them whether to write roman numerals for the answer or the actual key of the chord, so sometimes it might be chord V or I, etc. then in another test paper they've got to write A major chord or C minor chord, etc. hope this all makes sense...anyway, what i'm writing to ask is whether anyone knows what they should be writing for their answer...should they write the roman numeral down or the actual name of the chord????
    thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

As far as I know, either is acceptable.

3. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Just writing 'chord I' doesn't showing musical understanding. Writing 'chord I in G major' or 'G major' shows that they hear a G major chord.
    I find that the 'classical' students prefer I, ii, iii, etc. and the rockers like G major!

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Equally, just saying G major shows no musical understanding of the function of the chord or the key - it could be the dominant of C, the subdominant of D or have any one of a number of other functions.
    And at A2 there could be chords that don't lend themselves to either method of description, such as a German 6th.
    The sample paper uses Roman numerals (without key) to describe two of the chords, while the third is described as "Neapolitan 6th". There is no clue as to whether alternative descriptions are acceptable.