1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel A2 Biology Coursework

Discussion in 'Science' started by biologist, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    My class are having some major issues coming up with practicals that are of a sufficient standard for the CW - if I see anymore 'antimicrobial properties of substance x' type titles, I will go nuts. I also want to ensure that the pracs they do are not just straight rip offs/tweaks of compulsory pracs or the SAPS website. Surely there has to be some resource out there with examplar titles that I could intersperse into discussions with my group to try and get them going? We had some great pracs last year, but I am cautious about recycling them - any ideas/titles would be gratefully accepted!
    Thanks B

2. Hi all,
    My class are having some major issues coming up with practicals that are of a sufficient standard for the CW - if I see anymore 'antimicrobial properties of substance x' type titles, I will go nuts. I also want to ensure that the pracs they do are not just straight rip offs/tweaks of compulsory pracs or the SAPS website. Surely there has to be some resource out there with examplar titles that I could intersperse into discussions with my group to try and get them going? We had some great pracs last year, but I am cautious about recycling them - any ideas/titles would be gratefully accepted!
    Thanks B

3. florence99

florence99 New commenter

Hello B
    I had some good pieces of work last year. Most were suggestions from the Edexcel list but they did give scope for students to really plan individually. Also get bored of antimicrobials but had some decent ones looking at extraction methods and using colorimeters to measure the turbidity of broths. The title suggestions given to them were;
    1. Using duckweed as a pollutant bioassay
    2. Using banana browning as a heavy metal bioassay ? inhibition of catechol oxidase in bananas by varying concentrations of lead ions
    3. Can lowering the temperature increase the effective pH range of enzyme X (e.g. a commercially important enzyme like pectinase used in clarification of apple juice or lactase used in many industrial processes)
    4. Are two eyes better than one? Monocular versus binocular vision in depth perception
    5. Investigating the effect of (a respiratory inhibitor) on the rate of respiration in (named organism)
    6. Investigating the effect of concentration of pollutant X on the rate of photosynthesis of immobilised algae
    7. Investigating the effect of sucrose concentration on the gelling of pectin treated with pectin esterase.
    8. Investigating the effect of ripening on the production of proteases in mangoes
    9. Effect of temperature / pH / enzyme concentration on the clarification of apple juice by enzymes
    10. Effect of the method of extraction (hot water, cold water, ethanol, IMS etc) / of plant extract on its antimicrobial properties.
    11. Inhibition of banana browning by differing concentrations of ascorbic acid.
    Not sure if these will be any different to those you usually offer, it sounds as though you already scour the SAPS and Edexcel suggestions, but hope it might give you a couple haven't tried before.
    Flo

4. Thanks for that - I have definitely had some positive reactions from the students about these titles - The students seemed to realise that there is a lot more to do than their initial ideas led them to believe, and I am now looking at a number of titles that I will run past Edexcel. I will post some of the titles here once the exam board ratify them.

Thanks B