1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel A level - Textbook recommendations

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by bombaysapphire, Jun 21, 2011.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We are looking at changing exam boards which means we will need new textbooks.
    So far I like the look of the Elmwood press ones for C1/C2 and C3/C4 but they only do one for M1 out of the applied units.
    What do you use and what do you like/dislike about them? Thank you.

2. bombaysapphire

We are looking at changing exam boards which means we will need new textbooks.
    So far I like the look of the Elmwood press ones for C1/C2 and C3/C4 but they only do one for M1 out of the applied units.
    What do you use and what do you like/dislike about them? Thank you.

3. Pledger Edexcel series IMO are awful BUT do have the solution bank which can help kids study at home. The book/solution bank is riddle with errors.
    The Oxbox one is far more meaty and has some extension materials on each, some of which are nice little questions. That has a CD with the ebook which is good. Far better book than the Pledger series and available for all edexcel units. One downfall is the fact it has numeric answers only. Less mistakes in that one too. M1/M2 S1/3 ( I think) D1/2 and all the FP units.
    For C1/2 and C3/4 the older Pearson Longman black one by John Wood is excellent and far better than the texts above IMO. Some material is slightly harder as its a 2004 publication.
    Perhaps the oxbox one out of the 3 overall for kids studying the current course. All have past paper questions and at least 2 additional mock exams.
    The MEI one is also a nice addition for more able kids who want more of an insight

4. bombaysapphire

Thanks Betamale [​IMG]
    Bump for anyone else.

5. For the Core I also use Rosemary Emanuel/John Wood Pearson Longman. They have good exercises for the kids. As with all text books the methods in the examples may be different to the way you teach but that is not a problem. The books come with CD back-up material. I can not comment on their quality as I have not used them. There are enough questions in the books when backed up by actual examination questions and Solomon papers. The books are heavy and some kids may prefer to take the CD home!