1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel A Level researched essay - let's do something!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Vicario, Sep 12, 2009.

1. This post concerns the new Research Based Essay (I do the litrerature option), which Edexcel have included in next year's A2 for the first time. If I understand correctly, my pupils spend a year studying one novel, play etc. and then have to write no more than 270 words to show how much they know about a character, theme etc.. Last year (old syllabus) we studied two novels and were told at the training session that good candidates should write about 300- 400 words for each book if they were to expect an A grade, as it would be hard to show deep knowledge in the 250 word minimum set.
    I recently set an essay to a very good group on one aspect of our novel from the first three chapters - they all wrote about 300-400 words, as I didn't give them a maximum. They were appalled when I told them about the 270 words in the exam.
    Does anyone else agree that this word limit is ridiculous? If so, please reply and we can take it from there.

2. I agree with the word limit but this too short indeed. I teach this RBE in literature for the first time myself and I wish I had more support, examples on how it is marked etc.Any suggestions ?
    Thanks
    M

3. 270 words? That's ridiculous if they want to go into some detail at least....