1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel 9-1 Maths Mock Grade Boundaries

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by rainbow40, Nov 26, 2016.

1. rainbow40

rainbow40 New commenter

We have just done the Edexcel 9-1 maths mock and we are struggling to decide on what grade boundaries to use for the higher tier paper.
    We are thinking of using:
    9 - 90%
    8 - 80%
    7 - 70%
    6 - 55%
    5 - 45%
    4 - 35%
    3 - 20%
    What grade boundaries are other schools using please?

2. pentagonal

pentagonal New commenter

These are far too high

3. rainbow40

rainbow40 New commenter

What boundaries will you suggest please?

4. lou66

lou66 New commenter

5. rainbow40

rainbow40 New commenter

6. nadine.2007

nadine.2007 New commenter

I would very much welcome a sharing of information on here. The link to the blog is good so thanks Lou66. I am not a big Twitter user and none of my searches found the plentiful discussions you refer to so could you put some links on here for those of us who are less social media savvy.

What did you decide to go with Rainbow40? We have our mock next week so feeling quite nervous about giving grades to parents.

7. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

I hope I am right, but I feel that there is no way the boards can possibly set papers as difficult as the Edexcel Mock Set 1. If my schools' Y11 are anything to go by, either we will have hardly any students making expected progress or the grade boundaries will be ridiculously low. I am very scared for the Summer. My department usually perform very well, with all blue indicators on Raise.

8. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

What makes you think other schools will suddenly perform better than yours? You can only do what you can do.
    On the subject of Edexcel mock papers, and having nursed colleagues through several previous GCSE changes, yet again edexcel come up short in putting out quality preparatory materials. I find their approach complacent at best.

swampyjo likes this.
  9. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

I agree, but it's a pretty scary gamble!

10. pi r squared

pi r squared New commenter

I trust you mean green: blue (actually red from 2016) mean significantly below not above.

On your other point I can only agree with googolplex - unless you have a dramatically different cohort, have had substantial changes in your team, or completely mis-tier the whole year group, there's no logical reason why your current year group should perform any less well in relation to other schools than previously.

11. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

Yes.... thanks for the correction! Must be approaching the holidays!

12. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

We have just done the AQA Practice Papers - set 3 - ranked all the students - looked at what students from our school did last year, this cohort very similar. A A* becomes 7, 8, 9 and so on. Now it's a selective school so narrow range but we can only do our best and teach them well. I saw an excellent comment on that somewhere. It's all we can do - teach them well!

Re Twitter - it is useful, I use it a lot - but agree not good for discussion.
    Even if you don't use Twitter you don't need an account to check for example #mathschat

13. pi r squared

pi r squared New commenter

Would you mind sharing, Casy, what boundaries you ended up with? We are using the same as we used for the Set 2 (here) for the moment, unless AQA/Testbase are able to issue percentiles prior to us giving out the grades early in the new year - interesting to see how our boundaries compare.

14. Asylum

Asylum New commenter

Thanks for sharing.
    We've just done AQA set 3 also. After reading various blogs and feel for students our complete guess was:

Higher Found
    9 220
    8 175
    7 130
    6 100
    5 75 180
    4 45 130
    3 20 100
    2 75
    1 45