1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel 5BS03 GCSE Unit 3

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by Totally80s, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Totally80s

Totally80s New commenter

Your thoughts on todays exam. My students went from "not too bad at all" through to "that was harsh". I think it looks OK but this is my first time using Edexcel and I've got a sneaky feeling that their interpretation of the markscheme will be quite rigid compared to who we used to use.

2. Totally80s

Totally80s New commenter

Your thoughts on todays exam. My students went from "not too bad at all" through to "that was harsh". I think it looks OK but this is my first time using Edexcel and I've got a sneaky feeling that their interpretation of the markscheme will be quite rigid compared to who we used to use.

3. simon1971

simon1971 New commenter

I thought the last question was a stinker, more an A level question. Overall though I think it was ok, but it did need the students to really read the question carefully and be able to think deeply. Typically the questions I has a hunch about never came up, notably Fairtrade, break even.

4. bizent

bizent Lead commenter

Personally I found it a bit of a harsh one but some of mine found it OK. My own grouop would have had a bit of trouble with most of the questions because I wasn't there to reassure them they were "writing it right".
    The last question was a bit of a stinker. I don't think I could talk for 10 minutes on the minimum wage.

5. MrDarcyswife

MrDarcyswife New commenter

Pupils told me it was okay but now that I have read it.... I am worried. The last question was (in my opinion) an A Level question and I agree with other, I could not have "assessed" this for a full mark answer.
    I was also concerned about the "wording" of alot of the questions as they required analytical thinking and this tends to be difficult for anyone let alone 15/16 year olds.
    I am now thinking about changing exam boards.....

6. I thought it was very difficult, especially the language level of some of the questions. I know it's in the spec, but I wouldn't have expected even the average 16 year old to remember what things like "more favourable credit terms" means - it's not a key term as such so why not use plain English, since it's meant to be testing analysis and evaluation rather than knowledge of terminology.

I don't think most of mine would even be able to attempt the last question.

7. glynmanton

glynmanton New commenter

I thought it was harder than the two past papers and specification available

last question seems synoptic- if students brought in supply and demand from y10 they could talk for 10 minutes

Certainly a discriminator

Will be interested to see mark scheme and boundaries.

My guys did very well in year 10 - i expect to have a few shocks - My only worry about the course now is the massive jump in expectations from the year 10 exam to year 11