1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel 360 IAA - How do you get an overall mark for each section?

Discussion in 'Science' started by loual, Apr 26, 2011.

1. I am currently marking IAA's for the first time. I am using the guidance and the generic marking grid which is fine. My problem has arisen in assigning each section a final mark.
    For example, one piece of work in the planning section has done everything for band 2, half of band 3 and a tiny bit of band 4 - at this point I am unsure of what to do. I don't feel I can give anything above a 6 because band 3 isn't complete - but I do want to award credit for the band 4 work....
    Do the students have to achieve everything for each band or can they achieve bits of each?

Thanks!

2. When we were given training we were told to look at it holistically
    E.G for EUID, if there were 2 graphs and one already had axis labelled and h=just required a bar chart or simople graph they could get most of mark band 3 for completing that.
    If they had to add axis and label, scale correctly and did a good (note not perfect) graph then there was no reason not to award upper mark band 4
    It is not a sequential list they must complete in order to progress from one MB to another
    Some times they cannot show evidence of all parts of a MB from the prompts given
    Professional judgement and clear annotsations as to why you have awarded a mark makes your reasoning clear to any moderator and means they are more likely to agree with you
    Hope this helps and plough on through"