1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel 2012 Business GCSE Changes

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by Bobafett1, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Is any else concerned about the new linear specification?

We teach units 1,2 and 5 for students to achieve the business and economics GCSE

The new specification has the same exam for Unit 1 taken at the end of the course, which means we have to teach a particular unit to be assessed in a particular way (multiple choice) then teach a different unit to be assessed with written answers.

I get the feeling that Edexcel have been a bit lazy and just pushed the exam to the end of the course rather than develop an assessment structure that teachers can work with.

Has anyone created a plan that will successfully deliver unit 1 and 5 as well as practice the different assessments?

Any idea I have had has been messy and confusing! I could merge a couple of topics, but they are assessed in different ways.

2. Is any else concerned about the new linear specification?

We teach units 1,2 and 5 for students to achieve the business and economics GCSE

The new specification has the same exam for Unit 1 taken at the end of the course, which means we have to teach a particular unit to be assessed in a particular way (multiple choice) then teach a different unit to be assessed with written answers.

I get the feeling that Edexcel have been a bit lazy and just pushed the exam to the end of the course rather than develop an assessment structure that teachers can work with.

Has anyone created a plan that will successfully deliver unit 1 and 5 as well as practice the different assessments?

Any idea I have had has been messy and confusing! I could merge a couple of topics, but they are assessed in different ways.

3. I agree that it would have been better if Edexcel had tidied this up, but I usually teach to both methods of assessment throughout anyway, so that students get plenty of practice at the evaluative type questions and are ready for the controlled assessment. There are, after all, some multiple choice questions in the unit 3 as well, and I assume in unit 5.

I prefer linear because of the amount of time we lose in year 10 for exams at the moment. I'm probably not going to change the way I teach much, except to rationalise some of the topics which are currently taught twice.

What are others planning?

4. I absolutley agree, we currently have analysis and evaluative questions for unit 1 to prepare them for later units.

My worry stems from the 2 different assessments. I dreamt that Edexcel would have created an exam that covered both units using a variety of techniques - it would be much better for students and teachers, however, this would not have been as easy for Edexcel.