1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel 1MA0 - Syllabus changes?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by s_andrew22, May 3, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    Have recently been teaching the 1380 content and I was just wondering if there were any content differences between the 1380 and 1MA0?
    I know there's going to be more wordy questions, was just wondering whether any topic had been put it/taken out?

I'm thinking mainly for Higher level, but if anyone knows of any changes for Foundation then that would be really helpful too.
    If not, then if you know where a document is that highlights the changes that'd be great too. I've tried finding it but I'm new to the whole planning Schemes of Work business!
    Cheers [​IMG]

2. Hi there,
    Have recently been teaching the 1380 content and I was just wondering if there were any content differences between the 1380 and 1MA0?
    I know there's going to be more wordy questions, was just wondering whether any topic had been put it/taken out?

I'm thinking mainly for Higher level, but if anyone knows of any changes for Foundation then that would be really helpful too.
    If not, then if you know where a document is that highlights the changes that'd be great too. I've tried finding it but I'm new to the whole planning Schemes of Work business!
    Cheers [​IMG]

3. gdunne42

gdunne42 New commenter

Taken out:
    Moving averages
    I'm pretty sure " if a, b and c are lengths is pi ab^2 an area " questions went too

4. DM

DM New commenter

Dunny is correct. Dimensions theory is gone as is the graph of y = tan x (did you even realise it was in?!).

5. Hi
    Checked some old emails and found this list I put together for OCR linear - you may want to double check it against your specification though (e.g. OCR linear retained moving averages) but hope it's of use.

Foundation - IN:
    • Multiply and divide mixed numbers
    Foundation - OUT
    • 3D coordinates
    • Imperial/metric conversions (will be given, no need to memorise)
    • Find the midpoint of a line segment AB given A and B (now higher only)
    • Pythagoras to find the length of a line segment AB given A and B (now higher only)
    • Standard form notation (now higher only)
    • Expand product of two linear expressions (now higher only)
    • Postive enlargement scale factors less than one (now higher only)
    Higher - IN
    • More than two successive events can be used in probability questions
    Higher - OUT
    • Solve simultaneously a line intersecting a circle
    • Equation of a circle
    • Gradients of perpendicular lines
    • Using prime factors to identify recurring/terminating decimals
    • Dimensional analysis of expressions/formulae
    • Draw, sketch and recognise y = tan x
    • Transformations of graphs includes only linear and quadratic f(x)
    • <u>Proving</u> circle theorems (still required to know and use them)
    • Relating algebraic solutions to graphical representations of the equations (for direct and inverse proportion)
    • [Moving averages]