1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel 1380F - June 6th

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pencho, Jun 7, 2011.

1. pencho

pencho New commenter

Are we now allowed to discuss the paper or are we still restricted by their rules.

2. pencho

pencho New commenter

Assuming we are allowed to discuss this paper now, what are people's opinions on this. As far as I can see the paper was much more difficult than previous years and the 2nd half beared no resemblance to any of the previous papers. Students did not like it one bit. Nothing like the past papers we have worked through.
    I realise that grade boundaries will change to reflect the difficulty, but I don't see this as the point. This has been a huge confidence knock to all the students now. How many students would be able to answer the last 5 mark question - honestly!!!
    We should not have to play a game of "Which Exam Board is best for your students". It is unfair to schools, teachers - but more importantly the students.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Relieved to hear that other students also found it hard. There were several questions this year of a style I haven't seen before.
    The L shaped prism which wanted you to find density. No 3D picture. Change of units. No scaffolding. That's tough for those students going for Cs on the Higher paper.
    The equation with surds in. That would be easy for bright students to cope with if they had ever seen anything like it before.
    A number of the other questions were very formulaic though.
    The questions we are talking about will make it easier for a tip-top A* candidate to stand out so that is a benefit.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Sorry - I missed the F in your title! I was talking about H. I must get hold of a copy of the F.

5. re foundation - what are your predictions about the boundaries this year? I'd be surprised if it was anything below 75 for paper 1.
    My year 11s are very demoralised and my staff are very concerned.

6. pencho

pencho New commenter

I think lots of good kids will get the same as weaker kids who all made light wor of the gimme questions. The harder stuff was a little too testing to find many C/D kids
    I think this is the main point of my argument. I can see lots of students getting in the 60's and I don't see the rest of the test differentiaiting between C and D borderline, in particular if they make a couple silly mistakes earlier on!!!! We sound like we are all complaining about the same questions and so hopefully nationally students are all going to be in the same position. My fear is the "range of statistics" they have at their fingertips to decide on grade boundaries. Has anyone contacted Edexcel. I have and been asked to put in writing, which I will be doing.

7. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

So my topic GCSE exams not fit for purpose with this paper being a good example of what I am talking about - they simply dont effectively differentiate and whther you get a C or D (or A* A or B at higher) is a not necessarily dependant on your ability due to the quirky nature and ease of the questions. A couple of silly mistake on easier questions could easily cost a good candidtae a grade despite then having the ability to attempt the more difficult questions.

8. the question is, do we approach Edescel about this?
    or does one of us become the moaning exam centre?
    [​IMG]

9. pencho

pencho New commenter

I think lots have already complained.