1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexce Remarks

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by frenchy18, Sep 13, 2011.

1. frenchy18

frenchy18 New commenter

Sorry to start another thread on this......where is everyone at with remarks? Now the dust has settled and I have gone through my results with a fine toothcomb, I still feel cheated with my Speaking Marks and some of the Writing Marks. There seems to be no consistency with the way that they have scaled down points, one candidate going from a A* to a B in the Speaking (not in the sample) and another who was in the sample going down to an A from an A*.
    I have spent a lot of time on the phone to Edexcel demanding why we have still not got an E9 report for the Speaking component, due to techincal hitches we have never got one from the outset. As soon as our sample is sent back for Speaking they expect us send it back to them so they Moderator can write the report, what an absolute joke. Of course they say that the deadline of 20th Sept for request of remarks will be extended for us..........However I don't want to trust Edexcel with anything else quite frankly.The cost of remarks is high and we can only get the whole sample remarked, despite trying to reason with them about wanting to pay for individual candidates who have not even had their exam listened to, to be marked. For the writing, they class it as an exam, sothere is no moderators report and we cannot have access to the scripts of the annotations of marking or anything.
    I am still very angry that there seem to be no answers and no one from Edexcel willing to account foor the mess up that has occurred. I have written a complaint to the subject advisot and received a bulk standard reply from somone on the Assessment Team at Edexcel. They have advised going down the remark route, but it is a hell of a lot of money to spend if nothing is going to change (reading a similar post about remarks on here just a while ago where it said nothing has been changed)
    Would be interested in hearing anyone's experiences and what has happened for your kids.
    Thanks.

2. So far, we have had 1 student moving up a grade out of 25 - 30 writing remarks (across German, French and Italian). Quite a few students moved down in the writing! All of our German marks came back exactly the same. All of the teachers in my dept are experienced and have had great success with previous GCSE coursework and yet we are all totally baffled by these results. Our speaking results weren't altered which confuses us more (although some of the non-sample German speaking did get moved up or down by 1 point, which is also non-sensical when the sample wasn't altered!) A teacher I totally respect has had one student marked as an E for the writing and she believed his work was worthy of an A / A*. Read the examiners' reports on the Edexcel website. Makes interesting reading. Bit worrying that the examiners state that too many students are writing their assessments from memory. How else is the average 16 year old non-selective student going to manage to write 200 words in a foreign language from scratch? Lots of A Level students would struggle.
    I am seriously keen on dropping Edexcel for another board. Have very little faith in them now.

3. Same here. The results for the coursework have been APPALLING (boys getting Fs when we gave them CS) The speaking grades though have been better than expected. The annoing thing is that as teachers we don't understand the grades, they are so far from our expectations. AQA seems more reliable from what I heard.

4. frenchy18

frenchy18 New commenter

Thanks for your replies. This does not fill me with confidence about putting in for remarks. It is so frustrating that, as already mentioned, as teachers, we do not understand how these grades are worked out by Edexcel. It seems such a waste of 2 years hard graft to fall at the last hurdle and then not know why.

5. By all means jump ship from EDEXCEL, but whatever you do, don't go anywhere near AQA!

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

I got my moderation form today - all marks unchanged!

But that still doesn't explain the extremely low Listening marks.

7. frenchy18

frenchy18 New commenter

Hi Henriette, do you mean your remarked Moderation marks?

8. we're not remarking as we don't have the funds, we are absolutely devastated by our results this year- our kids thought the listening higher paper was fine, and even our a* candidates came out as C/D borderline. Our French coursework results were brilliant, they marked up from our marks, but German and Spanish were marked down! the speaking exams they didn't listen to were marked very harshly as were the ones they listened to!?!? i have a colleague who has marked for edexcel for years and said this year there were so many new markers it was chaotic...!

when will they get there act together and stop messing us and our students around????

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

I received a piece of paper named Moderators Report, which I what I was referring to. It stated on it that none of my markes had been changed.

10. frenchy18

frenchy18 New commenter

Ah ok thanks Henriette.

11. frenchy18

frenchy18 New commenter

Hi le singe, same here with kids who haven't even been listened to and dropping loads of marks, despite the same grade in the moderation sample dropping considerably less. I see no logic in their marking. Got to school this morning to see an email saying that they have lost all the candidate mark sheets for the Speaking Sample hence we have to send them off again. Didn't take copies however! It gets worse........... am fed up of the time and energy spent on this now. Someone mentioned writing to the JQA as well, could anyone point me in the direction of how to do this please? Thanks.

12. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I htink you mean JCQ. jcq.org.uk

From the home page:

"JCQ exists to ensure
    that learners of all ages and levels of ability have access to
    qualifications that enable life-long learning to take place.
    These
    qualifications stretch, challenge and motivate the learner. They are of
    world-class calibre and constantly evolve to remain so. The standard of
    grades for these qualifications are maintained over time to provide
    users with confidence in their achievements."
    Not so sure about that last sentence.

13. Hi. None of our marks were changed. General rubbish from edexcel when I complained...sending me to mark grids. i have contaced OFQUAL and I am going through the process of complaining formally. If everyone on here did that then I am sure someting will be done!

14. frenchy18

frenchy18 New commenter

Thanks for replies. I meant JCQ the first time I think! Will see what happens on our remarks but awant to complain anyway about the poor comunication and awful organisation from Edexcel all the way through thr process.

15. Having paid for a selection of students to be remarked in the first instance, the marks have come back unaltered (except for one student who went up a grade).

I had judged some candidates' written work to be A* quality. They got As or A*s on the Listening, Reading and Speaking but the Writing came back as anything from B to D grades. A student getting Cs on three skills (whose written work I judged to be C/D grade) came back as an F. None of my speaking marks were altered and I marked the whole cohort of 112 kids. I have never had written marks changed under the old coursework unit.

I am now finding the whole situation somewhat laughable.

A student included the following in one piece of work:
    Correct adjective agreements; adverbial time phrases; negatives; conjugated verbs; subject pronouns lui, eux and elle; reflexive verbs in 1st person singular, 1st person plural and 3rd person singular; present, imperfect, conditional, future and perfect tenses used in a variety of ways; ce que; subordinate clauses
    There were four errors in the whole piece - copains was spelled incorrectly twice, entends was mis-spelt and one accent was missing on très.
    Edexcel deemed this piece to be worthy of 3 out of 5 for accuracy and awarded it a high C.

The student whose work I thought was C/D, managed to include 238 words in one piece and included:
    Correct adjective agreements; adverbial time phrases; negatives; conjugated verbs; reflexive verbs in 1st person singular, present, conditional and future tenses; subordinate clauses. A past tempt was attempted twice, unsuccessfully.
    F grade? My derrière.

I am going to pursue it as a formal complaint. I want some answers. I hadn't thought of Ofqual but that's a good idea ...

GL

16. Hi all
    Still incensed - we decided not to remark, as it was simply too expensive. I have asked for a subject advisor to come into our school to explain the marking policies and also reasoning. There was no apparent consistency in the marking and again several students dropped fomr B to E. I have double checked their work, as I made copies and am still bewildered. Our speaking marks were not altered at all, so some students came out with A in listening,A in reading, A in speaking and C in writing! I have lost even more faith in the system and shan't be bending over backwards in future, for me and my students to feel demoralised and devalued. Also thought it was horrendous that there is no real exam / moderator report to guide centres in future planning and marking.
    Good luck everyone it is going to be a long year.
    S

17. mpc

mpc

My beef with the whole system is that my speaking marks were upheld but massive changes in grade boundaries led to kids underperforming massively. How you can just up and change the key grade boundaries by plus 3/plus 4 is just beyond me!
    With the writing, let's not even go there! One of our students who did most of her primary ed in Spain (early entry, clearly) got a B! Go figure....
    What kind of incentive is there for kids to do languages if they're going to get a smack round the chops come results day?

18. I agree completely with mpc. How on earth can Edexcel decide that an A* in speaking is 47 marks if you submit the exam in January, but 52 if you submit it in May? I have requested an explanation, though have been waiting weeks with no reply. The exams and mark schemes are identical! I also fail to understand why the speaking grade boundaries vary so wildly, especially at the lower end, between different languages. If anybody has had an answer to these or similar questions please let me know!

19. frenchy18

frenchy18 New commenter

hi all, no answers to any of the above.....I am writing my letter to Ofqual and JCQ this week though detailing everything that has happened since Results Day.

20. This was the correspondance withe the board over the exact same query: my queries in yellow Not at all convinced!

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Please
    can you explain why the raw grade boundaries for the various GCSE languages in
    speaking and writing are different. As these are by outcome and use the same
    criteria surely they should be the same? The Italian boundary for an A* is 5
    marks lower than it is for Spanish for example?? How do we explain this to our
    pupils?

Different subjects have different standards and the level of question
    varies in each subject; this is the reason for the change in grade
    boundaries, grade boundaries can change every year and this depends on
    the level of question set according to QCDA guidelines. I hope this
    makes sense for further clarification if required you can always contact
    Edexcel Experts from the following link: http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Pages/ask-edexcel.aspx.

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Thank
    you for your reply . I agree that this is the case with

listening and reading where questions are set by the board and need to

be adjusted but does not ring true for assessment by outcome in

speaking and writing when different schools are setting different tasks

and the criteria across the languages are the same. Please can you

comment specifically on this.
    Although
    the assessment is by outcome, there are nuances in the different
    languages which lead to different boundaries. Also the most able
    candidate in one language, will not always perform in the same manner in
    a different language. <font color="#FF0000">Also we have to review marking based on tasks
    set by the centre, therefore if a centre has said a candidates
    should/must address an issue however this does not occur the candidate
    cannot be awarded marks for this work. It would be unfair to have a set
    boundary across all languages, if for example a very bright cohort in
    French dominated the outcomes for the other languages.</font>
    I hope this has answered your query.