1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexce GCSE ICT Animal shelter digital poster task

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ftfrobertson, Jun 16, 2015.

1. ftfrobertson

ftfrobertson New commenter

Hi there

Is anyone else starting this task? I am going to do it in PowerPoint I think, I wondered if anyone was doing the same or something different?

Thanks

2. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

PowerPoint too. Easiest and quickest way

3. ftfrobertson

ftfrobertson New commenter

Brill thanks - always after validation that i'm doing it right!

4. adilnasim786

adilnasim786 New commenter

Anyone got an example to show me?

Adil

5. johnsa01

johnsa01 New commenter

I would of thought Microsoft Publisher will be more appropriate.

6. johnsa01

johnsa01 New commenter

Sorry after a little research the digital poster can be created in PowerPoint of Photoshop. Has anyone got an example.

7. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

PowerPoint? Digital Poster?

What was it people were saying about the ICT being a real GCSE? :D

8. pilchard99

pilchard99 New commenter

I agree! We did it in Fireworks as an animated image. We would not even consider powerpoint. We do that in year 7! We had some really professional outcomes. We are gutted they are scrapping it as we really develop ICT and Creativity in mulitmedia through our lessons. If done right it can be done well.

9. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

This has to be a wind-up. Producing a digital poster for a GCSE? We do that as the first task for Year 7 students in the Autumn term in our bog standard academy, complete with animations, automation, transitions, special effects etc. And who said ICT wasn't a Mickey Mouse subject?

May it be buried deep and rest long.

10. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

It's a tiny tiny part of the controlled assessment. There are supposed to be tasks that all students can access. This is one of them.

11. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Has anyone ever heard the term "digital poster" outside of a KS4 ICT qualification? Or "multimedia product", for that matter?

Actually, if they're talking about the sort of thing that runs on the screen in the dentists' waiting room, then PowerPoint is probably a sensible way to do it. I'd be worried about quality and scaling if it were done as a video.

12. colwynexile

Originally it was intended as one of these 'dentist waiting room' adverts, but over time they've wanted it added to the website (Activity 3). However, we still use PowerPoint so that ALL pupils can access some marks. Those that are obviously a step above are encouraged to also think about other methods that may be more suited to websites, and helped to produce suitable outcomes.

Be interesting to see how long ICT is out in the cold. I predict that after a number of Ofsted reports slagging off ICT skills in other KS3 & 4 subjects that it will be quietly slipped in again. Mind you, the congregation of this chapel have been predicting the 'DOOMED, WE'RE ALL DOOMED' of ICT for at least 10 years, may take as long for it to come back

13. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I think that's been happening for a long time. Students rarely learn any word-processing skills in ICT lessons these days, and I regularly come across KS4 students who lack the skills required to produce their coursework as they've never created a multi-page document, and have never heard of page breaks or used a table.

That's why I think there's a degree of sophistry in the campaign to keep GCSE ICT, because the students don't appear to be learning useful skills at all.

14. colwynexile

When I started teaching here in Essex 9 years ago, the school I was in ran the Business Communication GCSE from Edexcel which actually did the C in ICT; talked about Communications. It involved a 2 1/2hr practical exam (write a letter, use a spreadsheet, etc.) but was only worth 1/2 a GCSE in the big scheme of things.

Because of that, it was dropped for OCR Nationals, where Unit 1 despite being death by screen shot covered at least the basics of setting up folders, producing simple documents, etc. Followed by 'harder' OCR Nationals and then the GCSE ICT course.

Luckily I also teach computing, so I know I've got a job in the future.

PS - JJL, love the facebook page!