1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EdEx Unit 4 Sec C A level

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by shoesrule, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Hi,

Recently went to see that modern prouction for unit 4 section C and I have to be honest there wasn't much to write about, there wasn't any effects, minimal use of lighting and not a very inventive set design. I am concerned that my students won't have enough to write about in the exam if there is a question on design/stage effects. I can't take them to see something else as its not an option. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

any advice appreciated.

2. Hi,

Recently went to see that modern prouction for unit 4 section C and I have to be honest there wasn't much to write about, there wasn't any effects, minimal use of lighting and not a very inventive set design. I am concerned that my students won't have enough to write about in the exam if there is a question on design/stage effects. I can't take them to see something else as its not an option. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

any advice appreciated.

3. What are you doing for Section A/B? What production did you see for which time period for Secton C?

4. I think that as long as your students have a sound understanding of the original performance conditions and the s/h/p/c context that affected both the o/p/c and audience response, they should be able to find enough to compare with the modern production.
    They can draw out the similarities in terms of staging but pick out the differences between the audience response perhaps if you're struggling for lots of obvious 'modern effects'.
    Without knowing the play / period of time I can't offer any more advice, but am happy to try if you reply with this info'.
    Best,
    Jess.

5. Thanks that is helpful. The play was Hamlet, wish I'd not chosen it now! and the era Shakepeare. Thinking about the production again, there are probably a few lighting things etc they could talk about, I just wasn't very inspired by the production and started to panic.
    Thanks again

6. Great. I'm sure they'll / you'll find lots when you start to pick it apart. Best of luck.

7. We went to see a bit of an uninspiring Romeo and Juliet this year. Last year, the production we saw had loads to talk about and I was a bit worried about this one initially but I think you usually find there's more to say than you think. If you get the kids to write up class notes in sections - lighting, sound, acting, significant moments, costume, set - they usually find more than you think, because they're forced to talk about each one in detail. As Jess says, they are comparing it to the OPC and can pick out similarities or differences. Some of the questions lend themselves to more 'extravagant' productions but others are still accessible whatever performance you went to see. Good luck with it!