1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EdD or PhD while working overseas?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by markedout, Jul 2, 2020.

1. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

Is it possible? I've done some research but even the OU want you to be available for a weekend in November in the middle of term time! That simply isn't going to work when it involves 700 quid for a flight, 7 hours flying time to London and time off work as the weekend here isn't Saturday and Sunday. Covid aside, I could be available for a few weeks in the summer hols but that's about it.

2. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Worth asking your school if you could get the time as paid leave - you're undertaking PD after all, so they could be willing to support you in this way.

3. yasf

yasf Established commenter

My last couple of schools supported people who want to do higher degrees. It's worth an ask.

4. Treesa

Treesa New commenter

Bath University do distance learning and attendance is at summer school.

5. lc547186

lc547186 New commenter

I am currently studying on the EdD at Uni of Bath. You do have to do summer or winter schools for the first 2 units, the mandatory units...Research and Policy, the other 2 and the thesis can be completed distance. Summer schools fit in with the summer holidays, but the winter school you will have to take time off work. You get 9 months to complete each unit, then the thesis can take 4 years, so it is very easily completed. I have taken the units slow as work has been busy, but the thesis I will try to complete in 2 years or less. Right now, from the emails I have received winter and summer schools are cancelled so all units are online.

markedout likes this.
  6. msmillreef

msmillreef New commenter

About to start my third year with Bristol here in Hong Kong. Happy to help with any questions if you want.