1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ed Sheeran

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Nov 18, 2018.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Is there any point to this man ?

I really like singer-songwriters and am a big fan of Damian Rice for example.

but.....he bores me shiftless....in a very short period of time.

Great cure for insomnia though....a couple of Ed numbers and I'm gone.

2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I agree - I think he's very overrated.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  3. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

I don't care for any singer-songwrtiers. Give me Guetta any day of the week

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Heard Shape of You on the radio this morning.

I actually thought it wasn't appropriate to be playing it when children might here it... ah well...

lindenlea likes this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

No, I don't like him. I think he was a rich, clever kid who realised early that the trick was to write fairly ordinary undemanding songs but ones the other kids could really relate to and just never stopped. He actually capitalised on his unattractiveness

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

He's just boring - many similar sounding tracks in a very derivative format.

7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Well if he was a colour he'd be beige, wouldn't he? If it's any consolation, none of the young people I know rate him. There seems to be a bit of a vogue for these bland male singer-songwriters. They're all a bit interchangeable for me, but then I'm not their targeted demographic, being a grown woman.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There's just no depth or bite to his music.

Go and listen to Damian Rice's "Lonely Soldier" or anything else by him really - different class.

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's hard to criticise a singer when there are so many stages between the singer singing and the public hearing.
    Agents, publishers, promoters, general string pullers-they all combine to give mass popularity, not the singer themselves. It's really quite personalised to say "I don't like him because he has capitalised on...."
    The reality is that any singer would be happy to make a crust. It's not capitalising, it's using your connections and your ability to earn what you can. If that leads to celebrity, then so what if some embrace it; it's harder to find a performer of ability who eschews it.

I suppose the applies to all "celebrity dislike" threads. People like or dislike the performer, but actually these days a performer of prominence is not necessarily responsible for the personality that reaches us in the end.

Anyhoo-regarding the man himself, well I can only say well done, because if I were to get up there and belt it out with a guitar, i'd empty the house immediately. He's a better singer than me, so hats off, in particular to someone who can lay down a voice track before adding the music-most people do it the other way round.

needabreak likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

He makes a lot of money and I wish him well.

But his music is just so "safe"

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I like him.
    Each to his/her own.

needabreak likes this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

He's ginger, so you are not far off.

Ivartheboneless and sbkrobson like this.
  13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I quite like ginger hair. It's fiery, so pretty far off beige! :)

BelleDuJour likes this.
  14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I like him and I think he's quite attractive. I like the fact that he worked his way up busking and playing pub gigs to one man and his dog rather than via Simon Cowell or similar. I don't own any of his music though.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Very carefully cultivated image.

I have nothing whatsoever against him personally - just find his output bland in the extreme.

lindenlea likes this.
  16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

lanokia likes this.
  17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Shape Of You had sold about a billion copies before I actually heard it and I couldn't believe how tinny and jingly it was.
    I presumed I didn't quite get Ed Sheeran because I iz old but turns out he's a bit cra.p and highly over-rated.

Girl singers are the same - I couldn't distinguish Taylor Swift, Arianna Grande, Dua Lipa from each other or a hole in the ground.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    coffeekid likes this.
  18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

My nine year old loves Taylor Swift. Trying to unobtrusively nudge her towards K.T Tunstall instead...

19. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Err, he’s alright. Soothing. I love the one that he sings with that Italian chappie, Perfect?

needabreak and BelleDuJour like this.
  20. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I like quite a few of his songs, not sure I could manage to sit through his gig though... but then I'm not a teen or in his target market age range, the nabs listen to his music from time to time.

What do you think of Rudimental, Paloma Faith, Ella Eyre, Jess Glynne, Rita Ora, Sam Smith and George Ezra?