1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eczema

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by tassiegirl, Sep 12, 2011.

1. I have it all around my eyes and the edges of my mouth has super dry skin. My eyes are red, itchy, swollen and flakey and it takes ALL of my will power to not scratch so hard th skin cracks and bleed.

Hydrocortisone cream prescribed to me isn't working, dermalogica isn't working, sudocreme isn't working, paw paw cream Ian working. Not putting anything on them isn't working......

Arrrrggghhhh!!!!

2. coaltown1

coaltown1 New commenter

I hope you are going back to the doctor and get yourself referred to the dermatology department.
    I've suffered with it on my hands for over 3 years,tried umpteen different steroid creams, bandages etc.until I was given a patch test and found out it was an allergy to a preservative found in most household products and basic products such as shower gels, shampoos etc. It's now beginning to slowly clear up so I'd advise you to keep pestering the doctor until you get to the bottom of this.
    Good luck!

3. I have it, my brother had a case so severe his hospital consultant described it as "the worst case of childhood eczema I've ever seen in my career" so I do feel for you.
    What emollient (moisturiser cream) do you use on a daily basis? Reason I ask is that my brother started off being prescribed aqueous cream, developed an allergy to that, then did the same with E45 before ending up on diprobase - he'd scream like someone was dropping him in a bath of acid when you put it on him after he'd become sensitive to it.
    Soap powder (even if it's your face - you still lie on pillows at night and stuff) - I've got to be ultra careful which ones I use - I've found one brand doesn't set me off and that's it, the only one I buy - however much I might want my sheets to smell of wild jasmine and dingleberry or whatever else they're advertising that's going to make George Clooney materialise between the sheets.
    Go back to the doctor - it could be if hydrocortisone's not working that you need a slightly stronger strength one - my brother had a range of about three different strength ones for his body and the same again for his face and we got very good at working out what one was appropriate at the time... could also be it's got infected - in which case they can prescribe yet another, delightfully bright yellow and it stains the living daylights out of your sheets, towels and nice white shirts (not at ALL that I'm speaking from experience having my prized white suit ruined trying to catch a freshly greased escaping little brother as a wanna-be teenage fashionista here).
    Other things they tried with little bro - sun treatment... worked in clearing it up, however he became very claustrophobic in the cubicle so we stopped that, hypnotherapy they tried... at one point they did put him on immunosupressants to give his body, his skin and my mum's sanity a break.
    If your GP isn't very savvy on it (and lots aren't - ours just very much learnt over the years to back off as we became experienced in managing the condition and what we needed when) then it's well-worth trying to push for a referral to a dermatologist.
    I feel for you having it on your face though - mine tends to be my elbows that I claw at until they're bleeding.

4. If you're stressed that could also be aggravating it - I hadn't had it for years until I was on my long teaching practice then I had it all over my legs, the doctor said that stress was likely tobe an aggravating factor. Having said that of course reducing stress for a busy treacher with eczema might be quite tough. As others have said, keep on at the doctors until it is sorted.

5. Thanks for replies. My dads eczema gets so bad that he can be hospitalised two or three times a year sometimes. Neither my brother or I have suffered from it until my eyes went mad around February last year. No rhyme or reason, have transferred to Eco washing everything, dermalogica face care, no face care, have excluded dairy, wheat, wine from my diet for up to 6 weeks at a time. Is does come up when I'm stressed, but also when I'm not. Doc really isn't overly interested, told me to stop scratching!!!!!!!!!!!

6. I feel your pain. I get eczema on my face. I have had the eczema around my eyes get infected twice in the last year. I had an overhaul of my skincare routine and it seems to have improved - not perfect, but loads better.
    I cleanse with Aqueous cream and water. Aqueous cream isn't very good as a moisturiser (it stings!), but OK for cleansing for me. Then I use diprobase cream and ointment. I chucked all my make up away and bought Clinque foundation and found a company called Lily Lolo for eyeshadow, etc. Sudocreme is too strong for my face, I find, and it stings.
    I also gave up caffeine and make a effort to drink lots of water,as well as changing my beddig to anti-allergy stuff. I was getting desperate, so made loads of changes - it's difficult to isolate the ones that have made a difference, but that is what I did.

7. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Maybe this is like a drop of water in the ocean if the eczema is really bad....but I found it works well for me and is less scary than using steroid cream on the face
    http://www.skinnutrition.co.uk/p/850/Hope%27s_Relief_Cream_.html?gclid=CIOiw_ahn6wCFcMOfAodqGHuAA

8. Having had eczema since a child (very severely) and know the misery it causes my situation only improved when I stopped using the whole host of steroid creams that I was prescribed. I'm sure this is not the naswer for everyone, but my slavation has been in using a normal moisturiser called Astral which is available in any chemist/supermarket. As long as I don't use highly perfumed soap this has kept my eczema at bay.

9. My husband has had chronic eczema all his life, requiring hospitalisation a few times, though only once in adulthood.
    I decided to try looking at his diet, and started by making him give up dairy - the result was amaxing, his skin shone and glowed like silk for ages, except if he had white fish, so he has cut that out too. Now the effect of giving up dairy has stabilised, in that he has gone back to looking like a guy with very dry skin (and a lot of damage from the old days) but the amount of itching and scratching has been cut to about 1% of what it was. Likewise the shower of dry skin coming off him all the time.
    Occasionally if we're away or at a nice restaurant he throws caution to the wind and has something with dairy in it and he knows he will have to take a lot of antihistamine for a few days and he will be itchy for a few days, but his life is nothing like what it was. I could itemise the problems that have now gone, but it would take ages.
    Try it. No doctor will ever advise you to give up dairy, which is why he suffered with his skin till his mid-30s, but give it a try. It's not easy, mind you, but worth it.