1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eczema

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tassiegirl, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Does anyone know if it is possible to develop it at the age of 30 having never had it before?
    I'm pretty sure it is what I have on my eye. It is like really dry skin, I can rub off the extra dry skin and is red and itchy.
    I noticed it about a month ago and just put some extra moisturiser on it. Its been back a few odd days since, but nothing major. For the past 3 days, its been spreading and getting redder and itchier and slightly swollen.
    Today, it is obvious to others and there is a patch about the size of a five cent piece under my eye and now the other eye lid is itching too.
    I have been putting paw paw cream on it but it doesn't seem to be helping. I haven't changed anything in my bathing/moisturising routine and it isn't mascara or eyeliner related (not that I have worn either for at least 2 weeks).
    My eye area is obviously very sensitive and I don't just want to chuck any cortisone cream on it.
    Will the pharmacy be able to help or shall I make an appointment with my GP?

2. Does anyone know if it is possible to develop it at the age of 30 having never had it before?
    I'm pretty sure it is what I have on my eye. It is like really dry skin, I can rub off the extra dry skin and is red and itchy.
    I noticed it about a month ago and just put some extra moisturiser on it. Its been back a few odd days since, but nothing major. For the past 3 days, its been spreading and getting redder and itchier and slightly swollen.
    Today, it is obvious to others and there is a patch about the size of a five cent piece under my eye and now the other eye lid is itching too.
    I have been putting paw paw cream on it but it doesn't seem to be helping. I haven't changed anything in my bathing/moisturising routine and it isn't mascara or eyeliner related (not that I have worn either for at least 2 weeks).
    My eye area is obviously very sensitive and I don't just want to chuck any cortisone cream on it.
    Will the pharmacy be able to help or shall I make an appointment with my GP?

3. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

Your pharmacist should be able to suggest a good, non cortisone, cream.. there are plenty.
    If it is getting worse/not clearing then get your GP to check it rather than tryimg lots of different stuff.

4. I would check that it's not ringworm - both my children had this on the face, one near the eye, one on the forehead. Canestan clears it up quickly, although if it's very close to the eye the GP might suggest something else more suited to that area.

5. You can develop it at any age- I get it as a response to stress or anxiety.If it's quite mild at this stage, try a nappy rash cream like sudocrem or, my favortie, Bepanthen- it helps me out on a regular basis by reducing the itch and rehydrating the skin. You should also check the ingredients of your beauty products- Lanolin can set me off too.

6. Try and avoid anything with Sodium Lauryl Sulphates. It's in most shampoos and shower-washes, so a bit tricky to avoid completely. It was originally invented to cut through engine grease and is terrible for some people's skin. I avoid it like the plague.

7. I developed it at 23, stress related.

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

You can develop eczema at any time.
    Certain moisturisers will aggrevate the condition.
    DO NOT put any steroid creams onto it without consulting your GP first - this could lead to a serious reaction.
    If it is on the eye lid then Simple Eye Ointment (from the pharmacy) may help to rehydrate the skin but you may need to see the doctor for a steriod eye ointment to help bring down the inflammation/itching.
    Do you have any other symptoms, e.g. discharge coming from the eyes?
    Do you have any pain in the eye?
    You can buy witch hazel based drops/antihisitamine drops OTC which would help to soothe the eye itself if your finding the itchiness is getting worse.