1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eczema sufferers - support group

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by LGR22, May 27, 2008.

1. I'm really suffering recently. I have put on a lot of weight in the last few years and need to realistically lose about 4 stone to be healthy again!

But the problem is my eczema. If I do aerobic exercise then it means I will sweat which means I will start to scratch. So I can't run at all on the treadmill so I walk fast but this obv. isn't as effective as running. I can't do aerobic exercises for more than 20 minutes without having to stop and scratch!

I love swimming and I put epaderm on before and after I go swimming but then I come home and scratch it all off to the point where my skin is raw.

I feel like i'm losing a battle here, does anyone have any advice about this? Do you think i'm allergic to Epaderm? Are there any other creams people have found effective to use after swimmming?

2. Just been to the doctors today as my eczema and hayfever are terrible. My eyes are really swollen and my eczema has flared badly on my arms. The doc had a go and said I wasn't treating my eczema properly which is true.

I hate having eczema and hayfever :O(

3. Sorry to hear you are suffering badly. Can you try drinking some aloe vera gel? Might help. You can send me an email and I'll tell you exactly what I use. The products do help to manage thse conditions.
    admin at bamzadol dot com.

4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Pschosociolaogist, how i feel for you, I also suffer both eczema and hayfever, I find antihistamines dont really help much..what do others use?

My eczema has calmed down a bit since I started on protopic, my flare ups are not so severe and the good days are really good. I love to swim too, but cant cope with the water, Ive tried everything to help stop the drying and itching and just never found anything that worked.

Ive started using green people shampoo which is paraben and SLS free and for the first time in ages my scalp dosnet itch after washing. Im going to but their suncream next.

This is a horrible condition, i have not worn a skirt or short sleeevs in years

5. A little while ago I gave up alcohol and my eczema went away, it was great...but now I have just completed some very stressful professional exams and it is coming back....Have a horrid patch on my leg which keeps me up all night.

By the way does anyone know much about eczema and varicose veins? I know there can be a link and my vein in recent weeks is getting very itchy and has like a rash over it (and the leg) which looks like little red/brown dots.

6. I get pustular eczema on my feet, it starts out as little red spots then blisters and gets full of pus before drying out and flaking. At this time of year it's awful, every pair of shoes I own hurts my feet and when I wear cotton socks at night I get too hot. I use an antibiotic cream and an emollient. I get similar on my hands but mostly in winter.

7. Hi, i have bad eczema on my arms, neck and face. Calmed down for couple of years but its come back again. I'm allergic to parabens and Sodium Lauryl Sulphate so use a range of bath stuff called Faith in Nature - its brill. Also use Hopes Eczema relief cream which is lovely and stops the itching. All herbal - i gave up with the steroids cos my skin then goes crazy when go in the sun!!Getting married soon so fingers crossed it will calm down!

8. Hi everyone,
    I've had atopic eczema since birth too. Like others, the smell of coal tar gives me the shivers and reminds me of being bullied at primary school. I also have perennial rhinnitis (sp) which is basically hayfever but all year round and asthma. 5 years ago I developed a latex allergy out of the blue and had 2 anyphalactic shocks. They said it could be because of the eczema, hayfever asthma triangle. I also developed keretaconis (sp), and as my eyes were sensitive to the materials in the contact lenses I had to have a cornea transplant. They said this was also because of the eczema, asthma, hayfever triangle. I am sick of this being an excuse for every blimmin problem I have!!
    On the eczema side though, I have to say that since I had phototherapy about 10 years ago, I have managed to keep it mainly under control. It does get better in the summer, but is bad with the sweating (esp on the back of my neck). Like you, I also need to emigrate!!!

9. I've also had excema since birth. It varies as to how bad it is but never completely goes. I find the sun helps a lot. Also since being pregnant its alsmost completely gone.
    Some of the things I've found effecting it is tomato/tomato products. Type of washing powder and only wear cotton clothing nothing like nylon or trousers with polyester in. Another thing I've found helpful over the years is coco butter, as pure as possible applied twice a day has really helped.

10. My 13 month old twins had/have eczema - not as bad as some of the cases on here, but nasty enough for little babies.

I was recommended "Dream Cream" from Lush which has really helped smooth their skin out. It's got lots of nice natural stuff in it and smells lovely. Bonus is, it has lavender and camomile in it and helps them sleep. GPs are now recommending it in place of steroids.

11. I use Lush Dream Cream too and it's lovely :)

12. Hey fellow eczema sufferers,

I too have had eczema since birth. When I was younger I used to get it really bad and my legs we're often bandaged up. I am in the asthma-eczema-hayfever triangle aswell. I find that my asthma tends to be worse than the eczema but I have flare ups of both in the winter months. I find it affects my face when the weather is cold and it drys my skin out. Unfortunately this adds to the paranoia that people are looking at my red face.

I went to my asthma nurse a few years ago and she recommended Aveeno cream. Its an oatmeal based product and contains only natural ingrediants. It has been my miracle product and I use it everyday in the shower. It seems to reduce the redness and dryness. It also takes away the itching sensation. It is available in Boots but I have got it on repeat prescription from the doctor.

Through having eczema and being a prospective student teacher I have developed a very good rapour with children that have eczema. I think it really helps to calm them down if they know that they're teacher has it too. I really do feel sorry for anyone that has eczema its a terrible disease and really kicks you when you're down. But hopefully through having these experiences we can help children who find it really hard to understand to learn to cope with it.

13. i have been very interested in reading this thread. I have a male friend with terrible open wounds on the palms of his hands, diagnosed as eczema and creams given from the doc. His palms are all cracked, this continues up his thumbs.He applies steriod creams but is worried about this. Even with the cream, as soon as he does anything with his hands, for instance we went camping and a quick twist of a tent pole,opened up all the cracks and sores again.He doesn't however suffer from eczema anywhere else..i'm assuming that the diagnosis is correct..he is diabetic too..this couldn't be related could it?..is it usual to just have such bad eczema in one place?
    Was wondering if anyone can recommend any good creams or treatment he can try...i gave him almond oil just to keep the skin supple, thinking of the well known use for stopping torn skin in pregnancy, but this didn't work..any suggestions, herbal or otherwise woud be appreciated.
    thank you

14. Yeah it can just be in one place, I have it across fingers on left hand, not as bad as some on here though. During finals I got blisters on hands and feet -nasty! When I was a nipper my parents took me to homeopath for allergy test, he told us to avoid certain e numbers and chocolate, I got a load of natural creams and stuff as well. This calmed it right down. Now if it gets bad I avoid as many e-numbers as I can, this seems to calm it down.

15. Hello
    My girlfriend saw your post, i wonder if you are still on this forum and that you may offer me some advice to me.
    I will start briefly and see if you respond to me. My name is Darren, im male of 40 yrs old. Ive had very bad eczema all my life, and have the hayfever for many years also. After reading your post, it sounded like i was reading about myself, i can relate to everything you say. Funniest thing was i too need to emigrate somewhere warmer..lol.
    Ive had a corneal ulcer in my left eye, and shingles in my right eye. Both have left heavy scarring, and its all the fault of eczema, many creams n toxics in my eye. Anyway i cant work now, stopped from driving as sight is so bad. Got told yesterday about getting a corneal graph in my eyes. But i understand the chances of sucess with my symptoms are slim. I have so so many questions i want to ask you. Are you able to offer me advice?
    I look forward to your response
    Darren

16. Hello
    My girlfriend saw your post, i wonder if you are still on this forum and that you may offer me some advice to me.
    I will start briefly and see if you respond to me. My name is Darren, im male of 40 yrs old. Ive had very bad eczema all my life, and have the hayfever for many years also. After reading your post, it sounded like i was reading about myself, i can relate to everything you say. Funniest thing was i too need to emigrate somewhere warmer..lol.
    Ive had a corneal ulcer in my left eye, and shingles in my right eye. Both have left heavy scarring, and its all the fault of eczema, many creams n toxics in my eye. Anyway i cant work now, stopped from driving as sight is so bad. Got told yesterday about getting a corneal graph in my eyes. But i understand the chances of sucess with my symptoms are slim. I have so so many questions i want to ask you. Are you able to offer me advice?
    I look forward to your response
    Darren

17. hi...i've had eczema for 11 years....its never been as bad as it is now....im still in primary school, poor souls to have been teased and bullied in school.. lucky me never had i ever been teased or bullied....if anything the kids at school have been more than understanding...my eczema has become a nightmare to live with, my feet and hands are worsely affected, but my legs and thigh are as red as a tomato... i've been using steriods and pure cream,sea mud to vita sure, everything in the book.....not sure WHAT to do now....showering (which i do) is painful...like pouring salt over a wound...owww....[​IMG] help needed...if u can help me which would be great please do......when i get up in the morning a horrid fruity yukky smell lingers on my bedding and i.
    i would be truly grateful if anyone could help
    Kind regards

990amazing [​IMG]

18. dydx's remedies for eczema.

1. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) - take 2 teaspoons of ACV with 16 teaspoons of water. Pretty awful stuff but you can add apple juice to the concoction to make it more drinkable. Do this 3 times per day, half an hour before meals.
    2. Every 2 days add 1 tablespoon of Bicarbonate of Soda, 1 tablespoon of cornflour and 2 tablespoons of Virgin Cococonut Oil to a bath: Soak for 20 minutes (do not use any soap).
    3. Before bedtime, apply Sudocrem cream to skin.

Watch you eczema gradually disappear.

I do have other suggestions that I shall refrain from putting in the public domain but if you PM me I can let you know.

19. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

Can eczema be a side effect of gluten intolerance?

20. I thought gluten generally gave you more bowel symptoms. My husband has had severe atopic eczema all his life - has been hospitalised for it even in adulthood. When I started going out with him I persuaded him to cut dairy out of his diet and his skin became smooth and shiny and perfect - except for if he ate white fish. Now he can control his skin (especially in the warmer weather - it's always worse when it's cold) by avoiding all dairy and white fish. He's fine with eggs, but has longstanding known allergies to nuts, lentils and chick peas.