1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eczema/ psoraisis

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tassiegirl, Nov 5, 2011.

1. I know this is likely to be highly individual (and should possibly on the Health and Wellbeing forum!), but I am wondering if eczema comes up accutely in response to stress/food/drink/environmental intolerances or reactions - or, does it take a few days to build.
    I have been monitoring my diet, my cycle, the weather and my perceived stress levels for 4 months now and I can't work out what is causing the flare ups.
    They are around my eyes (mostly left) and I occasionally have very dry skin around my mouth.
    I use almost now facial products (and then they are dermalogica when I need to) and I might wear make up once or occasionally twice a week only if needed. And that is only mascara recently!
    On Tuesday, my the skin around my eye started to get sore, Wednesday itchy and red, Thursday and Friday exceedingly itchy red and very sore. When I woke up this morning it is swollen and brightly coloured pink/red and now it is beginning to go all crusty and gross (which will last for about 5 days).
    I put hydrocortisone on it when I need to (from Thursday this episode) but I really don't like using it, especially around my eyes.
    Doctor isn't too bothered and says that a dermatoligist isn't going to be too interested because it is limited covering and not bleeding or anything.
    But it is affecting my self esteem and I want to do something about it!
    Any advice?

2. I know this is likely to be highly individual (and should possibly on the Health and Wellbeing forum!), but I am wondering if eczema comes up accutely in response to stress/food/drink/environmental intolerances or reactions - or, does it take a few days to build.
    I have been monitoring my diet, my cycle, the weather and my perceived stress levels for 4 months now and I can't work out what is causing the flare ups.
    They are around my eyes (mostly left) and I occasionally have very dry skin around my mouth.
    I use almost now facial products (and then they are dermalogica when I need to) and I might wear make up once or occasionally twice a week only if needed. And that is only mascara recently!
    On Tuesday, my the skin around my eye started to get sore, Wednesday itchy and red, Thursday and Friday exceedingly itchy red and very sore. When I woke up this morning it is swollen and brightly coloured pink/red and now it is beginning to go all crusty and gross (which will last for about 5 days).
    I put hydrocortisone on it when I need to (from Thursday this episode) but I really don't like using it, especially around my eyes.
    Doctor isn't too bothered and says that a dermatoligist isn't going to be too interested because it is limited covering and not bleeding or anything.
    But it is affecting my self esteem and I want to do something about it!
    Any advice?

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I started to get eczema around my eyes and think it was a reaction to Boots protect and perfect products - I had been using these for quite some time with no reaction before. I don't know if they changed an ingredient or if I suddenly devolped sensitivity. I changed to Clarins products and have had no further problems. I get eczema on my hands and feet and this is definitely stress related.

4. Return to your GP and ask to see a dermatologist.
    Eczema has left my face now, and gone to my hands - but I recall the misery of looking at my manky, dry, flaky face.
    Check what you use to wash your face and find a moisturiser you can use every day - something v gentle. Aveda suits my skin, but it's a bit trial and error.
    As to what causes a flare up - I find it's stress first, then there are some foods I can't eat without my skin reacting. Then contact with certain things. Is yours eczema or psoriasis? Your GP should be able to tell you, and prescribe you something stronger than hydrocortisone to deal with flare ups. There's lots of info about when/where to use or not use steroid creams, but you need ot talk it over with your GP initially, and then with a dermatologist.

5. Do you use biological washing powder? - both of my sons suffer from bad eczema and what we used to call "diabolical powder" was one of many triggers .

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Excema and psoriasis are two completely different condtitions.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Putting cortisone cream on the face is very bad news. Please don't do it!
    Psoriasis is an auto-immune condition and a pretty horrible one too.

8. I suffer from very similar problems; eczema on the eye and hand. I've been prescribed a hydrocortisone cream specially for the face (it's half strength)
    I have to be careful what I use on my eyes - I can't use body shop or nivea products. I also had quite a nasty reaction to Yves St. Laurent's Touche Eclat when I used it to conceal the dark rings under my eyes. I'm currently having a flare up which might be caused by a clinique eye cream, I'm monitoring it at the moment.
    I suspect that when I'm more stressed than usual I have a bad reaction to products that I would usually be OK with.
    Would you be able to to avoid using anything other than water on your face for a while, so that you can give your skin some time to heal?

9. My eyelids got to the bleeding stage when I was about 16. I now swear by E45 cream; it works like a dream and I haven't had any problems since.
    Apparently I had a bad reaction to E45 when a young child though so I guess it is too harsh for really sensitive skin and you've probably tried it already!

10. Demalogica products are quite intense on the skin so probably not going to help much either. I used to work in Lush and one product that people with Eczema used to come in for quite a lot (and often people who didn't use other Lush products and who were quite suspicious of the whole 'natural' thing), was Dream Cream. It's a lot more gentle than the creams prescribed by doctors and focuses on balancing the skin from the inside out. It's so soothing too. I've recommended it to a fair few people over time (even since leaving my job there) and have often had feedback to say it's helped. The shop usually give a generous sample if you ask about it. Just a suggestion should your doctor still be reluctant to send you to a dermatologist. It might help, it might not!