1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Economics subject knowledge course advice

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by teacher_new81, Jan 11, 2012.

1. teacher_new81

teacher_new81 New commenter

Hello all,

I may be considered to do A-Level Economics as a new subject in our school. But since its been a long time since I've done economics I wanted to ask for advice on particular courses I could do to brush up on my subject knowledge in preparation of a possible new subject in September.

Thank you for reading.

2. teacher_new81

teacher_new81 New commenter

Hello all,

I may be considered to do A-Level Economics as a new subject in our school. But since its been a long time since I've done economics I wanted to ask for advice on particular courses I could do to brush up on my subject knowledge in preparation of a possible new subject in September.

Thank you for reading.

3. Many years ago, as a Business Education graduate, I taught in a comp where both Business Studies and Economics were offered as discreet alternatives (and I taught them). Very bright kids did very well in Economics, but the failure rate was very high. In Business, we got Cs and Ds. We switched to Edexcel's Economics & Business, results immediately improved (100% pass rates and a normal grade distribution). That school now runs two A level groups. All universities accept this as an Economics A level, it seamlessly links the two and because it is examined using topical issues and real business and economic situations (no made up case studies), the kids like it and can identify with it. Support is good and you may find it more user friendly.