1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Economics and Business Studies IGCSE

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Principal-Skinner, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

How would one explain to a persistant parent(s) that taking both Business Studies and Economics at IGCSE is not wise?
    1. Would you agree with the above?
    2. Anyone have have research links to support the hypothesis that mixing the two is wasting an IGCSE choice?

Just asking me lear'ned friends what you think. It's a quiet afternoon here in Springfield - Bart is so quiet and well behaved right now - and I haven't started a thread for so long; this is the best I could come up with.

2. Principal-Skinner

I have been looking for information which says you shouldn't / can't do both, as I believe you shouldn't / can't, so if you have a link to the cambridge or edexcel page, or someother place, which states such, please let me know.

3. We do both here using Cambridge IGCSE's and it's not a problem. I agree it is a waste of an IGCSE opportunity for students, but for many who simply need to accumulate passes to move on to the next stage of their education, it works. Anyone who, in the option choice system we use, opts to do both I see, and while I advise them that it may not be a good choice in some cases, in others I see it as an opportunity to make sure they get the requisite five subject A-C grades they need here.

4. I think Mary is right its not a wise choice but can be done.
    Edexcel appears not to offer economics only business studies.
    The Cambridge specs doesnt say it prohibits doing Business and Economics in the same examination at IGCSE level.
    Last year though I was told by a Cambridge Examiner that candidates are not allowed to do Business and Economics in the same examination session for A-Level. However the specs dont say that this is not allowed?....
    I would take Marys advice it should be ok. I would email the subject examiner to double check though. If the s*it hits the fan you will probably take the blame.
    Totally agree though it is a wasted choice in my humble opinion. Maybe you could explain to the students folks how hard ecomomics is compared to business?... Good luck [​IMG]

5. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Not an option here, strictly forbidden by in-house rules, let the parents persist as they may.

6. Principal-Skinner

I was under the immpression that it was not allowed, but I have trawled through Cambridge guidance and FAQs (IGCSE & A'level) and found nothing so far. Whilst the parent will not be allowed her way, it would be much simpler if I could quote something definitive. I can't really quote an unknown examiner at an unknown country in an unknown school.
    Thanks anyway.

7. Sorry I could not have been of more help. I hope the pushy folks dont give you to much of a hard time.

8. CanLah

CanLah New commenter

Sorry to disagree but we offer both get some students doing both and as there is not a lot of overlap between the content on either and the skills encouraged by both are very different I'd not hesitate to advise both. We allow both at IGCSE adn A Level and its not a sop to achieve grades!!

9. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

You obviously don't realise that some universities won't count BS & Econ as two A'levels whendone at the same time. Your school clearly doesn't give advice to help students attain places at top universities.

10. CanLah

CanLah New commenter

Afraid we do get lots of students in at the top unis in UK + US all the time and also regularly top the world with results. We also give truckloads of advice, doesn't seem to be hurting the few that do it?

11. Just to throw some factual and recent evidence into the debate. We have had at least 3 students studying both Business and Economics at A Level (Cambridge International Examaintion) in the last 5 years. Two of them had interviews for Cmabridge, one has just graduated in Geology. A lot depends on the other subject choices and what they have done to show interest in their chosen field.
    Cambridge have no written policy nor restriction on entering for both subjects in one sitting. Hope this helps.