1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Economically inactive can fill potential staff shortages

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlejackhorner, Feb 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

Priti Patel has announced the government's changes to the immigration system. I'm not sure whether it will help or hinder the UK but some industries- carers, farming and hospitality say it could lead to potential staff shortages. Priti Patel's answer to this is that these vacancies can be filled by the "economically inactive ". Has she really thought about this? My husband and I both fit into this category. We worked and saved hard to ensure we could retire early. My brother has also recently taken early retirement. Does she really think that people who have planned to retire early are going to be willing to take up these jobs? I'm also aware that this category includes students, people who are sick and carers. How deeply has she thought about this statement or is it just a way of avoiding difficult questions that may suggest the planned immigration system won't meet our future needs?

2. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Isnt it strange. One minute we're told the economy is really successful because we've got such low unemployment. Then we've suddenly found 8.5 million people who should be in employment but currently aren't.

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Nah, all she'll do is announce that benefits will be stopped if those lazy unemployed layabouts aren't in that field at 5 a.m. picking them raspberries.

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

economically inactive is not the same as unemployed

hhhh, catmother, emerald52 and 2 others like this.
  5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

But the economically inactive arent receiving any benefits.

hhhh and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Sorry. I realise that so edited my post

LondonCanary likes this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Those Brexiters who told us such labour shortages were "project fear" will no doubt be first in line to work in a care home or sprout farm. It's almost as if they didn't have a ******* clue what they were voting for.

Still, Dunkirk spirit eh? Get out there and work to make it all worthwhile, we'll pull through, well other's will pull us through (hopefully) just like those clever people will turn up and get the best deal ever with the EU, because No Deal is illegal - or something like that.

8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Well wage stagnation was a concern for most who post here so with Labour shortages that will be rectified, a win for the workers! No?

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

You know all those foreigners that took your jobs?

Well, don't worry, you've got your jobs back now. Or no benefits.

Enjoy.

bajan, ilovesooty, WB and 10 others like this.
  10. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I have a kafkaesque vision of the economically inactive ( severely disabled or seriously ill) who at the moment need carer visits at home will be them selves conscripted to become carers for others who need care, who will in turn be required to care for..........

Economically inactive Pensioners, on the other hand, receiving state pension or a public sector pension will have to take on carer duties, fruit picking etc
    ( private pensioners will obviously be exempt from this requirement);)

11. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

but it is also true that very few students can find jobs these days. And many would like to

12. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

When I was in my final years at school I used to pick strawberries. A bus would pick us up,we would pick all day and get paid at the end of it. Some of my classmates did the same with potatoes...it was a nice pocket money earner for young fit people.
    Does that not happen these days? Has health and safety made itmpossible for school students to work in the fields?

I'm not saying this is the solution but it would be a nice source of income for those who feel inclined.

13. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

One well-known cartoon character will be pleased.

[​IMG]

etc.

#PritiVacant

towncryer and magic surf bus like this.
  14. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

It's pretty clear the economically inactive can't fill the gaps left if fewer/no low paid migrants are allowed in:

Why are people economically inactive?
    Oct-Dec 2019 / thousands of people

upload_2020-2-21_7-35-23.png

https://www.bbc.com/news/51560120

monicabilongame likes this.
  15. ajrowing

ajrowing Established commenter

Well those feckless students really don't need degrees. We are aiming to go back to the 1950s aren't we, so we should aim for the same number of uni students as well. We could fill the spare seats with overseas students and charge them lots. Also why do children stay in school so long?

16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

How many are women whose kids have flown the nest and who now just look after a largely empty home? "Ladies who lunch", and the like?

agathamorse, install and Corvuscorax like this.
  17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Who's "we"?

install likes this.
  18. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I certainly have "economically inactive" friends who would rather work, if they could find jobs. They would fall into !looking after the family home" category, either never had children, or children grown up.

Also, in regards to the student category, many students I know want part time jobs but students jobs have been few and far between in recent decades.

19. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Very small number, and hardly likely to need to work.

Indeed Mrs Morninglover is one such - just over 60, hasn't worked since we had children (doesn't lunch except with me, though!) Do you actually think she's going to go and pick potatoes or wipe backsides in a care home for the minimum wage? Or even for (say) £30K pa? I can say, without exaggeration, they would need to offer millions to get her back into the work force (and me too!)

20. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

I did all sorts of low paid, low skilled jobs while I was a student, I include my time in the sixth form. Cleaner, canteen assistant in the local hospital, fruit picking, bar work, filing clerk . A friend at universiy reckoned the best summer job he had was lavatory attendant . I know both my children and their friends struggled to find part time work. The older one noticed a change after her year in industry (2008-2009). Lots of jobs students at her university had done were no longer available

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.