1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eco-Schools, Green Flags, Sustainability...Does Anybody Care?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by d_j_hollander, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Hello, I am an MSc student at the London School of Economics, conducting research on environmental/sustainability programmes and student activities at schools in the UK.

I know administrators are busy, teachers are overworked, and students can be hard to motivate.

Despite the obstacles, does your school have any programmes or activities in place to educate a new generation of environmentally aware students?

And if not, what's getting in the way? Is it the usual suspects (time and/or money), or something else?

Thank you for your insight!

2. dts

dts New commenter

Within the independent sector, I would say that if it's not going to get new students in through the door, and/or improve educational outcomes, we don't have time to think about it - or at least not at a high strategic level. Some schools do invest in solar panels and other green technology - I suspect this is largely prestige purchasing.

There simply isn't enough of an immediate and tangible financial or educational benefit to spending a great deal of time on environmental issues, as callous as that sounds. I suspect the same is true of most organisations which need to balance a budget.