1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eco Schools Green Flag assessment - any advice please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by freshfield, Jun 15, 2011.

1. We are expecting an assessment imminently. Does anyone have any pointers or maybe has experienced such a visit?Apart form having evidence available, speaking to them, looking around the school - should I have anything else prepared that would help? Many thanks.

2. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

Teachshare is a free online resource provides a range of information that will help if you have not already had your assessment. Now that the Green Flag award is reassessed every 2 years with a requirement to add a new topic each time, continuing to develop evidence after an award is also important. Teachshare has information that will help you to continue to develop the Eco Schools agenda. Activation code tesr11 will give you free access.

Good luck

3. We just passed out green flag assessment at the end of last term, and it was a very stress free experience. I had my file ready with evidence of what we had done, action plans, agendas and minutes from meetings, planning etc. I also had made a photostory to show more of what we had done. Most of your evidence will have been on your application, so the assessor will only be verifying it. We have always had an eco noticeboard which she looked at. The assessor spoke to some of the eco team, and a few other children who were not on the eco team, so you may want to think about who to choose.
    Good luck!

4. porker

porker New commenter

Make sure your Eco team can talk about all the Eco work the school is doing and that they know the Eco code.

5. Thank you to all . We have now achieved our Green Flag but feel very much on our own now. The children, staff and community work very hard to promote a sustainable environment but now have no hlpl fron the LEA has they can no longer fund support. Would happily welcome any comments for discussion.

6. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

Congratulations on getting your Green Flag award. With LA cuts, withdrawing funding is not uncommon, but there are often other sources available.TeachShare has a funding section for projects linked to sustainability and may give access to some of the support that you now need.
    Starting from 12th September (for 2 weeks) the NCSL website has forum focused on energy efficiency and may provide another source of support. For more information follow this link

7. Thank you tonymillar for your ideas.
    The children are well and truely running the show now but still need direction and puopose for the future.