1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eco School assembly - any one done one?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Quin, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Hi,

We're introducing Eco Schools to our primary school and we've been asked to introduce Eco Schools to the children in a whole school assembly years reception - year 4 (we being 2 teachers!)

Has anybody introduced Eco Schools in assembly format? Any tips? scripts? slideshow/powerpoint displays?

Any help appreciated!

Quin x

2. Hi,

We're introducing Eco Schools to our primary school and we've been asked to introduce Eco Schools to the children in a whole school assembly years reception - year 4 (we being 2 teachers!)

Has anybody introduced Eco Schools in assembly format? Any tips? scripts? slideshow/powerpoint displays?

Any help appreciated!

Quin x

3. Haven't done one but seem to remember an assembly where someone had an inflatable globe which they threw around the hall. The children weren't allowed to let the globe touch the ground and there was a discussion about how we can look after our world.

Also another assembly specifically on rubbish where the teacher came in dropping a trail of litter- caused outrage among the children and a good discussion of caring/looking after our environment.

4. Those are great ideas - thank you :)

5. I did one years ago. Got the children to talk about recycling and how we could recycle more in school. (at that time when schools weren;'t really into it). Had a few to look in their packed lunch boxes to see what could be recycled and what they could they use empty containers for
    Talked about how paper is recycled and how their school jumpers are made from recycled plastic. That plastic bottle takes 800 years to disintergrate if buried.

6. RainbowBertie

RainbowBertie New commenter

Do you have a local school who are an 'Eco School?' Perhaps you cpuld invite some children and staff in to explain some things what they have done, why they have done it and the impact it has had on the school.

7. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

When I (as a parent volunteer) launched Eco Schools I did it on the idea of "Making One Change At A Time". I used rubbish to illustrate it, fully explaining the principles of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
    I had a [clean!] plastic dustbin containing several items and picked 4 volunteers to come to the front. First child lifted out a dud battery. First change - take it to be recycled - pass to next child. One more change - if it had been a rechargable battery it could have been reused - pass to next child. Next change - use products that run off the mains, solar power or wind up so that no batteries are needed at all, so reducing the waste.
    Next, we had a pair of jeans with a hole in the knee. Clothes can be recycled, they can be repaired to made into something else (reused) and do we actually need so many new clothes in the first place (reduce)? And so on ... plastic water bottle, wodge of printer paper, carrier bag biscuit tin... everything came out of the bin and was passed along the line.
    I then explained that if I'd said at the start that we were going to try to straight to the Reduce stage for all of these at once, it would seemed like a huge task, but by explaining it as just one small change at a time, it all seemed very easy.
    That's how Eco Schools works. You don't start by installing a wind turbine, but you might start by reporting all the dripping taps.
    I love doing the Eco Schools meetings. We've gone from being clueless and very wasteful to Silver in 2 years and are recycling more than 90% of waste. The new Site Manager is very keen which helps a lot!
    Good luck!
    EL x

8. Cacia

Cacia New commenter

We did a eco-type 'green' assembly last summer with our Year 2 children. We did a 'Top of the Pops' format, along with Harry Enfield DJ characters, coomber headphones, microphones, Led Zepplin theme music and top 10 countdown of ways to help the environment as voted for by the kids. Each idea was presented with a brief sketch and message. Very lively and popular assembly!
    This book was a good starting point:
    '10 things I can do to help my world'
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/10-Things-Can-Help-World/dp/0763641448/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262891662&sr=1-3
    Good luck