1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eccentric teachers from my time as a pupil...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kibosh, Feb 9, 2011.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I recently found at my grandmother's house an exercise book from my early primary school days. Written neatly inside were the entire lyrics of 'Whisky In the Jar'. Hardly an age appropriate song for teacher to pick!

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

But heck, you survived!

3. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

We had a Maths teacher who taught us in a classroom that opened into a quadrangle, a common situation in schools built in the 1920's. The door catch hardly worked so on windy days the door frequently flew open. He had the perfect answer! He went outside with a chair and propped up the door handle with the back of the chair. We fell about laughing when he realised that he was now locked outside the classroom.

4. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Indeed!
    Gave me a real giggle to read those lyrics in a 7 year old's handwriting. We must have been like [​IMG]

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

The words have a certain swashbuckling, devil-may-care charm that young children like. As for Molly's chamber [I know the song] it won't mean much.
    I remember a teacher objecting to me teaching a verse from the Drunken Sailor. It went; Shave his belly with a rusty razor..' The children loved it.
    The Pirate's Song has the lines 'A bottle of rum to fill my tum/ That's the life for me!
    Then's there's the Gypsy Rover. There was whiskey and there was wine...
    I like all these rollicking old songs and so do the children.

6. impis

impis New commenter

We had a lovely music teacher. [​IMG]

7. We used to be sent out on long cross country runs when I was in year 11 (5th year in my day). We used to run down the school drive, turn left and straight into my mum's kitchen where we would enjoy a cup of tea and scoff all the biscuits. We'd amble back a bit later, in time for the end of the lesson.
    Our PE teacher knew exactly what we were doing and used to ask us what type of biscuits were we having.
    Can you imagine doing that now?

8. Love it...wish I'd thought of that.
    We were sent out Cross Country running after being given verbal instructions about our route, with no maps given or markers out in the area we were to run in. I hadn't lived in the village long, was a slow, asthmatic teenager and quickly got left behind. Then I got lost. Not a happy day for me.

9. Mr D. (or 'The Big D' as he was refered to by all) the biology teacher. Was reputed to be an ex-Hells Angel and turned up to work on a huge noisy motorbike in full leathers. A large man hairier than most gorillas and covered in tattoos. He was fanatical about science and ran the science club, which was by invitation only. Always had a couple of crates of Barrs pop in the stock cupboard for favoured pupils.
    Also regularly took the minibus full of us to the local swimming baths and initiation to this club was to either 'bomb' off the top diving board or he would drag you up there and physically hoof you over the edge.
    Never had any discipline problems as he would find the 'hardest' kid in the class and take them into the prep-room for a 'talking to' which involved the sounds of lab stools banging off the walls and a very timid looking bully emerging.

Looking back he was actually the normal one and all the others were somewhat eccentric [​IMG]

10. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I never really had any of these types of teachers but I'm sure I would have loved them!
    When I did my first teaching practice I went to a school where the number of teaching years combined must have been about 1000.
    There was a french teacher who would have bottles of Diamond White in her handbag and smoke out of the staffroom window.
    An english teacher who refused to have another teacher in the room with him (no exceptions) you were literally kept at the door! It transpired he used to assualt students and throw chairs around. He even punched a window through in one of the last few days I was there.
    There used to be horses putting their heads through open windows. Quad bikes on the ground floor corridor (it was a huge never ending highway), once there was a tractor tyre rolled from the top floor down the stairs right to the bottom and out the fire doors. I remember thinking "they must have been knackered pushing that all the way to the top".
    One geography teacher was so poor at classroom management that the headmaster - who was so fed up of complaints from parents that their son had been dangled out of the fifth floor window "again" that they wired the windows shut and put bars on all the top floor windows.
    I'd go back there tomorrowif I could.

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Apart from the teacher who threw chalk at us at school in Gibraltar, we got our own back when an ape came into the classroom one day and threw them back. Music teacher who would make us listen to classical music all lesson and then we could play our pop records for the last 10 mins. PE teacher who was a chain smoker and stank of smoke, Latin teacher that wore only beige panstick on her lips, then parents' evenings bright red lipstick, weird, why?

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

But were they eccentric or merely not up to the mark?
    Eccentric teachers, when they can teach or hae some special quality, are often the ones we retain an affection for. I had an eccentric, elderly English teacher at secondary school. She was a bit waffly and had a passion for Egyptian antiquities. A lot of the girls despised her but she was wonderful and clever and encouraged me no end. I love her memory to this day.