1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ecat

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by LizzieTish, Jan 15, 2012.

1. LizzieTish

LizzieTish New commenter

Hi, I haven't done the Ecat training, but am very interested in it, and have been looking at the materials on-line.
    Can anyone tell me please, would you reccommend using the child monitoring tool (where you make judgements about a child's competence in listening, understanding, talking and social communication) for every child in the setting, or just the ones you have concerns about? Thanks.

2. LizzieTish

LizzieTish New commenter

Hi, I haven't done the Ecat training, but am very interested in it, and have been looking at the materials on-line.
    Can anyone tell me please, would you reccommend using the child monitoring tool (where you make judgements about a child's competence in listening, understanding, talking and social communication) for every child in the setting, or just the ones you have concerns about? Thanks.

3. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Hi,
    I have done the training and have been involved in ECAT for about 2 years. I would advise strating off with a set of children on the monitoring tool (this is what we did on the training) as it can seem a bit overwhelming at first until you get used to it.
    I chose to monitor the morning nursery children first. This gave me an idea of the percentage of children who were behind age related expectations. And it gives you good proof for your HT about how hard your job is when so many are behind to start with.
    I found the monitoring to be so useful for telling me what I need to plan for / where the support is needed that I actually now do all of the children in the setting and I enjoy it!
    For the ones you have concerns about it tell you exactly which areas they need to focus on and helps you to specify what kinds of activities will move them on.
    Hope that helps x

4. LizzieTish

LizzieTish New commenter

Thanks for that. OK, so I'll start with Nursery children and move on to those in Rec I'm 'iffy' about. Should be interesting... x