1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ECaR

Discussion in 'Primary' started by RJR_38, Apr 22, 2009.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

My head has approached me to see if I would be interested in becoming the trained teacher in the Every Child a Reader project as she has been offered funding to implement the scheme. Because of my interest in becoming SENCO in time I said that it sounded interesting and would be something I would like to look into further.
    Having read the overview on the website it sounds like something I might like to do but I wondered if anyone has experience of doing this and what it is like? One of my main concens with the whole scheme is:
    1. It says it only focuses on 4 children!! Is this right? Surely this is a lot of money to be spent on just 4 children and I could do more than this?
    2. Does it take into account the Rose report - is it a scheme that complements the phonics schemes now in schools? We currently use Read Write Inc which is working really wel land bringing up our reading levels hugely. I wouldn't want another conflicting scheme to be introduced to those children who struggle the most.
    3. how flexible is it? Is it a set scheme to be taught or is it more 'follow these principles' type thing?
    Any input and feedback (good or bad) would be muh appreciated!

2. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Thanks, Debbie herself pointed me to this forum on another thread yesterday and I have read with interest. There is certainly a lot to think about!

3. I am not a reading recovery teacher, however my school does have a ECAR teacher and from a class teachers PoV, I would say 'do it!' I have been fortunate enough to have had 4 children from my class complete the program and their progress and development has been incredible. It is not a magic wand and of course wont work for all kids but it really is a huge platform for them.

4. Time4Tea

Time4Tea New commenter

According to today's Guardian, ECAR and ECC (every child counts) have been cut. So funding might be secure for one year but not in future years. I think they are great programmes but you would need to think through the implications for your future career.

5. redx11

redx11 New commenter

Any news on ECAW - Every child a writer?

6. Sorry, not much time to go through the many criticisms of RR. Just a note on funding. ECAR was only funded for 3 years and is due to cease being funded in 2011. (The cuts announced yesterday were to the bureacracy that is endemic in its administration). So make sure you have a permanent contract before taking the post!