1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ebsd and drama

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Batmanrobin85, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Hi-
    Doing some work with an ebd school teaching drama for the first time. Of course the first lessons will be about group work trust and boundaries but I need tips on subjects/genres or playscripts that may work well(I'd like to do a script in summer term but bear in mind they are low literacy and lack concentration)
    Secondly the school have asked if I will run a small group gcse class and are looking to get passes not too worried about the grade achieved though more the experience of the course plus a qualification.
    I teach edexcel mainstream but wondered what others thoughts were on a specthat would work well.
    Cheers

2. Hi-
    Doing some work with an ebd school teaching drama for the first time. Of course the first lessons will be about group work trust and boundaries but I need tips on subjects/genres or playscripts that may work well(I'd like to do a script in summer term but bear in mind they are low literacy and lack concentration)
    Secondly the school have asked if I will run a small group gcse class and are looking to get passes not too worried about the grade achieved though more the experience of the course plus a qualification.
    I teach edexcel mainstream but wondered what others thoughts were on a specthat would work well.
    Cheers

3. I teach AQA gcse drama and the written exam is not heavily academic in terms of the writing it requires because it is reflective, based on what they have done in practical assessments. Section C is the review of a play but you can ignore this section entirely if you want (as I have).

in terms of the drama you teach, try not to necessarily assume that you have to start with trust and group skills stuff, this can be addressed and overcome alongside the project or scheme of work you teach and often, has more meaning and relevance this way. Trust, boundaries and group skills are always important in drama and underpin alot of what you do anyway. In terms of what you teach, pick topics and areas that you are interested in and build lessons and schemes of work around that, also, script work with a low literacy group can be very trying - when I am teaching shakespeare to quite a high ability group, the amount of actual script I expose them to is limited and for lower ability, differentiated or even improvised. Students need alot of drama skills and experience prior to using a script, so maybe see how you get on with that one. How much drama will they have done before if any? they need to be taught basic skills and techniques first within an engaging S.O.W. Good luck!

4. Have a look at the plays on www.wheellerplays.com
    There are also some models of extracts performed on you tube... search Mark Wheeller with two l's and 2 e's.