1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ebola nurse Pauline Cafferkey to return to Sierra Leone

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Apr 13, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Pauliin Cafferkey is returning to Sierra Leone as she feels that she has unfinised business. I admire people whom are dedicated to supporting the improvement of the lives of those in developing countries.

Listening to tyhe radio this morning some people feel that she is unresponsible due to the cost to the NGS and health systems that supported her recovery. Hero or National Health villian?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Hero.

les25paul likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Disagree - she's a publicity seeker.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

She was brave to go there to help in the first place.

But she broke rules when returning, and I can't see why she should go back now, tbh.

needabreak likes this.
  5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not sure.

needabreak likes this.
  6. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Shouldn't be headline news. Let her live her life.

7. delmamerchant

I love it when people say things such as let then live their lives...she did do the press interviews rather than say no comment.:)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    needabreak likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Is Sierra Leone currently clear of ebola? She's had two recurrences, hasn't she? Not very sensible to go back if it's still at epidemic levels.

Otherwise? Good.

And the publicity will be about awareness and fund-raising. She's got to advertise it. There are donations at stake.

9. delmamerchant

I listened to a radio phone in this morning and was surprised to hear that some thought that she had put unnecessary demand on the NHS due to putting herself in a situation where she could catch ebola and now that she has recovered, she is going back again and may become unwell again.

I was surprised at such negativity; are we becoming a less tolerant society?

palmtree100 likes this.
  10. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Brave Lady

palmtree100 likes this.
  11. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I'm not sure either. On one hand returning to get ill again cost the tax payer, however some have claimed that her work there helped stop a worldwide pandemic. I don't know enough about the science or reality of the case to have a valid opinion, further I'd say truth is I'm not alone.

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I don't think she should be going back to Sierra Leone. She seems to want some sort of closure but she is not in full health (with latent Ebola still in her system) and could easily succumb to that or another disease.

I believe that they have learnt a lot about Ebola from its incubation in her body.