1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EBD

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by scottdog32, Mar 22, 2012.

1. I work in an EBD school. Its my first time working in this kind of
    environment so I want to get a bigger picture of EBDs or whether my
    school is the same as everywhere else and this is just the way it is?
    For example what punishments or consequence systems are in place elsewhere? Do pupils get excluded or suspended?
    Im
    getting very frustrated because at our school there seems to be no
    consequence or punishment for extremely bad behaviour? We have a non
    exclusion policy so regardless of what the pupils do they will never be
    excluded. Its like I go to work everyday to be threatened, beaten up and
    disempowered. We use a restrain technique (PRICE) but it has been
    accepted by the Head and Managers that we have two pupils (we have 19
    pupils in total) that we cannot use this on, as they are too strong and
    too big. So at the moment these pupils can do what they like and there
    is no consequence. Is anyone else somewhere like this?
    I dont want to go back to work on Monday..

2. I work in an EBD school. Its my first time working in this kind of
    environment so I want to get a bigger picture of EBDs or whether my
    school is the same as everywhere else and this is just the way it is?
    For example what punishments or consequence systems are in place elsewhere? Do pupils get excluded or suspended?
    Im
    getting very frustrated because at our school there seems to be no
    consequence or punishment for extremely bad behaviour? We have a non
    exclusion policy so regardless of what the pupils do they will never be
    excluded. Its like I go to work everyday to be threatened, beaten up and
    disempowered. We use a restrain technique (PRICE) but it has been
    accepted by the Head and Managers that we have two pupils (we have 19
    pupils in total) that we cannot use this on, as they are too strong and
    too big. So at the moment these pupils can do what they like and there
    is no consequence. Is anyone else somewhere like this?
    I dont want to go back to work on Monday..

3. Firstly, breathe deeply and remember that you're doing a very difficult job, and deserve much kudos for sticking with what seems to be a very difficult situation. I've worked in EBD for several years now, and have been in exactly your situation, with students too large/powerful to be effectively held. The advice that was eventually given to me, after several injuries inflicted by one particular student, was to make it clear to senior management and all involved in terms of outside agencies, that the placement was no longer feasible.
    At one of my previous schools we had a no exclusion policy; I think that in certain circumstances this can be a very positive thing, as long as it's not simply being used in order to keep students in school for other reasons.
    My initial reaction is 'Contact your union' - my second thought is, are you Independent or LEA? Independent can on occasion throw up all sorts of issues.

Very best wishes to you.

S.

4. I have also been working in an EBD school for several years and in just reading your post I can tell that you are very new to the environment. But as the previous poster had stated you must remember that you are doing an extremely difficult job, not everyone can do it, so yes massive kudos to you for choosing the EBD/SEN route. It will get easier and you will grow in the job. The first year to 18 months will just be one massive learning curve for you.

Pupils in our school can be excluded for several days at a time - depending on the severity of the incident they have been involved in. If a teacher has been assaulted (it does happen regularly) they have the option of having the police involved with full backing from the school . We have a variety of sanctions in place for various behaviours. The most important thing with sanctions is to be consistent with them. Remember first and foremost you are trying to manage these kids' behaviours, you are not trying to change them (well, not initially) you are trying to manage them in a way that is best for the pupil, for other pupils and for the school as a whole. We are Team Teach trained and we have excellent links with our community police. If you are in doubt about the level of force you may be required to use you should speak to your community police team, I'm sure you will find that they are very supportive of your school.
    If you are worried that you may not have enough protection in school then speak to your colleagues and your Head Teacher about it, there's no shame in admitting you feel threatened, it's only then that your colleagues can help you and I'm sure some of them will have been doing the job for a lot longer than you. Use your team.
    There will always be disagreements between staff and management about the the way an incident has been handled, so the best way to deal with the behaviours of these pupils is to develop your own strategies and be consistent with your own punishments. The kids will respect you for it.

5. Ive only been a TA for the last six months, so am very new to the post. I am not getting on well, I am being targetted by a specific pupil and am not coping. Unfortunately I am the only teaching staff in the class for alot of the time as the teacher has other things they have to do. I feel very unsupported and just want to cry all the time! Im stuck between a rock and a hard place now because I feel like Ive continually voiced my concerns but nothings been done, its a kind of put up and shut up situation. I feel bad that Im not coping and everyone else seems to, I feel bad that I feel bad, I feel bad that I might go off with stress cause I really dont want that on my record, I just feel bad about everything!I dont know what to do. Everythiing was brilliant when the teacher was in the class and I was just assisting like my job role states but now its just me in there and has been for the last month or so everything has gone wrong!

6. Thank you, Im in an independent school, I dont think placements are ever not feasible where I am...I just dont know what to do.

7. Hi - first I want to agree, you have chosen a difficult career route. It is very rewarding. We need people to take this route and find that it is for them (I have a primary SEBD Unit attached to my school).
    Have you spoken to both the 'teacher who has other things to do' and the head of centre? The need for team work in EBD is essential. Only by someone else reviewing how you relate to the children and how they act towards you can any help be given. Never, even if you are the root cause (which I am not suggesting), should it be 'put up and shut up'. Appeal to the fact that you want to learn from their experience.
    Have a look at the policies for your centre. I am not a fan of any member of staff being on their own with children, especially children who have issues regarding EBD. We have a policy to avoid this as much as possible, even if we accept that this is not always practical. Where a pupil has an issue with a member of staff (and this is not uncommon, as is the opposite - a pupil forming a strong relationship with a member of staff), this is even more crucial.
    If you are new, the teacher may have forgotten this and is expecting you to be able to deal confidently with the pupils in the same way as a previously experienced member of staff may have done. This just needs to be pointed out to them gently.
    I am also not a fan of reaching for the union card. The internal procedures need to be followed first, but I agree you should not be ignored. Only once you have exhausted these routes should you call in unions. I am not knocking unions, my feelings are quite the opposite. Do you have someone at the centre that you can talk to, perhaps talk to the teacher on your behalf?

8. The teacher knows about the issues, the problem is he's working as acting head of the school and he is the teacher of a class so hes unable to be everywhere at once. Head of the school 'jobs' take over class 'jobs' so thats why Im left as the only teaching member of staff in the class for 90% of the time. I appreciate he is also in a difficult position trying to do two things at the same time but I feel saddened that I am the one feeling awful and Ive now given my notice in as nothing is changing and I just cant cope with the thought of going back.
    Ive been voicing my issues for weeks, and for the last two weeks of term I cried at the end of most days so I they are very aware of the difficulties I am having. Before I handed my notice in I offered a solution, if I could go into a different class but they said no.
    I feel really hard done by, I have tried so hard since the start of the school year and did at the begininning find it really difficult (it was a major shock to the system EBD at first!) but felt I had found my feet by christmas. I was getting really good feedback and praise and then it just went to pot, I cant manage in the class on my own and I shouldnt have to Im a TA!
    I think Ill cut my losses and go quietly, just put it down as an expierence and not one I want to do again without support and a full staff team!
    P.S Were independent so are not supported by unions so I was told? And to be fair I just wanted my feelings and opinions to be valued and listened too I didnt ever think I would need unions etc for something like that anyhow!

9. i think you would be better off leaving and getting another job as you are not being supported adequately. I run an EBD provision and we have a policy of not leaving one member of staff on their own with students unless it is totally unavoidable. If they have management issues they should have employed a supply teacher or at the very least another LSA to work with you. It's a Health and Safety disaster waiting to happen. Incidentally we have a zero tolerance policy for assaults on staff because if not you are not preparing the students for the real world. If they assault someone in the street they'll be arrested so at school they are temporarily excluded. Please don't be put off EBD though - the kids need dedicated committed staff. Register with an agency - staff who are prepared to work in EBD are always in high demand. Once you have worked in a provision someone will probably snap you up. Good luck.

10. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I used to work in a secondary EBD environment, and I would recommend it, but you do need to have supportive management and procedures that work, or at least procedures that are open for discussion.
    As for the 'not coping' element, show me an EBD teacher/TA who says they cope all the time and have no issues with any class/pupils, and I will show you a liar/fantasist/very good at covering up real issues (delete as appropriate) EBD is incredibly challenging, and there are kids who will target you and deliberately cause issues, regardless of how wonderful the teaching/behaviour management is. You do need to have a very thick skin, and remember that regardless of what the kids throw at you (literally or figuritively) it is not personal, they have their own issues and that is why they are in EBD provision.
    I agree with the above post, in that if this is the field you wish to pursue a career in, then you need to leave and get another job which provides the support and training you need, and will continue to need as time goes on, and policy and procedures change etc. I wish I had had management like joolzpop sounds like, would probably still be there if I had!
    B x

11. Thanks joolzpop and Bexl.
    I am leaving, I have two weeks to survive. In a way I feel quite good, I know I can work EBD and I think when supported I really took to it and those memories are good ones.
    I havent been put off, but to work in that kind of environment again I think I would do some thorough research on polocies, procedures and staff turnover!
    Fingers crossed the acting head gets what he needs (from higher management etc) to change things as I think the kids in the school as well as teh staff deserve better, some people there are trying to do really good things and it would be a shame if it all imploaded.
    Ive been accepted on teacher training in Sept (thats really cheered me up) and I can chose a SEN placement if I wish, Im tempted to, watch this space!

12. Sorry about bad spelling! I was trying to make a cup of tea at the same time! [​IMG]

13. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

I have been following this with interest and concern for you, although I didn't have much advice. Well done for starting a teaching course in September! I really sympathise with the situation you are in- it sounds as if you have been doing far too much without appropriate support, but you have turned things around! Well done and I hope you really enjoy your course - I also went from TA to teaching and found the training amazingly rewarding.

14. Thanks Linda555, Im really looking forward to the SCITT, cant wait to start. Hopefully this mess will be a long distant memory by September! [​IMG]