1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

eBay lemons

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sbkrobson, Nov 25, 2018.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I thought I'd start a thread of disappointing eBay purchases.
    Largely for entertainment, but also because I'm miffed.
    My son went to collect a parcel for me this morning and has just returned with my Rare Mint Condition Book.
    There is a sticky substance stuck between the back page and cover. The spine is broken, and somebody's name is written in the front cover.
    O, and it's the wrong book.
    The worst thing is that I promised I'd make my son a bacon sandwich if he collected it, so now I have to get up off the Sunday Sofa Of Content for nothing.

Has anybody else been really pleased to find a rare something on eBay only to be sent a complete lemon?
    I'll be back after I've done the sandwich, tsk...

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Well if you paid by credit card you can get your money back in a number of ways. If you start an ebay dispute you should get a refund.

What annoys me about ebay is the amount of Chinese tat. Also when you tick "UK only" the Chinese tat does not disappear, you are still buying from China (even though the listing states UK), the tat takes too long to arrive, and is still, well, tat. I have had stuff that has been sent back, but also refunds and just thrown away the tat, as I won't pay to send stuff back. Presumably these companies don't mind a percentage of refunds for their rubbish, as many people just suck it up. (We British are still not that good at complaining). You can look at the listing for company information, but its easy to forget.

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

A light coat, described as having slight watermark.
    It arrived reeking of perfume, I suspect the mark was the result of a puking up incident, and the perfume was to disuise the smell. I returned it.

Curiously, if you return something on ebay, you still end up paying postage both ways AND you lose the chance to give feedback.

4. sparkleghirl

The cheating on the location thing annoys me too. But I have had some pretty good stuff from China - a very good camera bag at a fraction of what i'd have paid for anything here. Had to wait a while but it was worth it. So much so that I bought another one later for another camera.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Eeeew. Your purchase sounds gross. Scum bags!

However that's incorrect. If you return something trackable then you are refunded your original payment including postage.
    And if you just open a return case and state "I would like return costs because I should not have to pay to return this" a prepaid return label is provided. If you are returning because it is not as described, this is deducted from the seller's account.
    So if you do it that way, it is actually the seller who loses out.
    Rightly so.

(Doesn't work for overseas purchases, but you can still make a fuss with Customer Services, and they often give a refund with no need to return.)

agathamorse likes this.
  6. sparkleghirl

Thanks - wish I'd known that at the time. Felt very aggrieved at the whole thing.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If it's not fit for purpose or as described in the listing you can return it for a refund without quibble. If the seller objects, opening a case with eBay Support will usually sort it in your favour, but it is admittedly a faff. If they're a business seller they're obliged to pay for the return postage in all circumstances, but if they're a private seller (including some eBay Shop owners) they're not obliged to pay return postage if you've simply changed your mind about it.

Most of the time on eBay I've got what I expected to get. However, there are those who deliberately search for badly spelled listings to try and pick up a bargain that nobody else is looking at, for example a 'raindeer' skin rug. I blame the teachers for the existence of this niche market. :)

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

A book stolen from a university library - will actually send it back when finished with it!

sbkrobson likes this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Stuff like this?

I've never bought anything off ebay. As the years passed, I've grown ever-more dismissive of material possessions. Moving home and in particular when downsizing, brings it all into perspective. When we last moved, I put an ad in the post office window for loads of stuff we would either have to transport to the tip, but was too good to throw away, if it would do someone a good turn.

Stuff we never really needed in the first place and is now cluttering up someone else's garage. It's madness.

10. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I must admit, I've only had positive experiences (as both buyer and seller) on eBay. They are very much on the side of the buyer, so any disputes are usually quickly dealt with. Of course, you can never be sure of the provenance of what you're buying, but 'Buyer Beware' and all that!

11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I’ve never had a problem, I usually have some reason to contact the seller, and I judge the replies as part of my decision making

Definitely - EBay is just a big boot sale - except you can’t touch before you buy.

12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Ordered a 'Chelsea' dressing gown for my teenage godson on Groupon - two have arrived, but I've only been charged for one. Contacted Groupon, and the guy said it's their mistake, so I can keep it.

Sadly, it's a bit too small for me, so I shall flog it on eBay!

sbkrobson likes this.
  13. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Ivar, are you me?! I have been banging on to eBay about this with no avail. They couldn't care less, though they did admit that they've had a lot of complaints. I hardly use eBay now. It used to be great but has become almost unusable.

magic surf bus likes this.
  14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I suspect this is UK-based import agents shipping stock direct from abroad. Check the estimated delivery date before ordering - anything over 3 days (ie Royal Mail 2nd Class) is likely to be overseas. Not bad if you want a bargain and you're not in a hurry, but a pain in the back end when searching for UK-based sellers only with rapid delivery.

Another one is multiple user names for what appears to be the same seller, ie spamming the search results. You click on different listings and the price, layout and stock availability details are identical.

15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I do like that song, although it is this video you need to watch, which becomes funnier the more you watch it, in particular the washing...