1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ebay fees

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Mar 15, 2012.

1. I have sold something for a lady in work. I don't mind at all, a happy to do it but she has asked me to sell something else and frankly I don't want to be out of pocket myself. I am struggling to work out the fees, though, The item sold for 4.19. No insertion fees just Paypal. Please can anyone help me work this out? Sorry to be so dim...

2. Isn't it something like 3% for sellers?

3. I dunno. I saw something about a percentage plus 20p?? I buy quite a bit but I don't sell much...

4. 3.4 % of selling price plus 20p (as I doubt you sell for a grand and a half a month)

If I knew how to post a link on chrome, I would.

5. So 80p, unless my brain isn't working.

6. I made it 54 pee

7. And TES lost my thank you post! Thank you dear.
    XX

8. I would say charge her a quid (rounded up for your time, internet fees, blah blah). I don't think she could quibble at that.

9. I only don't want to be out of pocket, really. She is a feckless old thing, bit of a drinker bur she is a sweetheart and very generous. I don't mind helping her out. I just don't want to set up an expectation that I will do it all for nothing and pay the fees to boot!
    Thanks, CQ.

10. 3.19 for doing nothing ;o) sounds like a good deal to me!

11. Link to ebay seller fees page.
    Ebay seller fees are made up of the insertion fee plus 10% of whatever the item sells for.
    If the buyer uses PayPal, their cut is 3.4% plus 20 pence.

12. Receiving purchase payments
    The standard rate for receiving payments for goods and services is 3.4%.

If you receive more than £1,500.00 GBP per month, you're eligible to apply for PayPal's Merchant Rate - which lowers your fees as your sales volume increases. Your fees can be as low as 1.4%, based on your previous month's sales volume.

Purchase payments received (monthly) Fee per transaction
    £0.00 GBP - £1,500.00 GBP 3.4% + £0.20 GBP
    £1,500.01 GBP - £6,000.00 GBP 2.9% + £0.20 GBP
    £6,000.01 GBP - £15,000.00 GBP 2.4% + £0.20 GBP
    £15,000.01 GBP - £55,000.00 GBP 1.9% + £0.20 GBP
    above £55,000.00 GBP* 1.4% + £0.20 GBP

The 3,4% is for the seller, not the buyer.

13. This is the link regarding domestic payments in the UK. https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-receiving-fees-outside&countries= which is the link ebay sends you to. 3% is what I remember Mum having to pay when she sold stuff for me in the UK. gorgy already mentioned there was no insertion fee.

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I use 15% of the item's value as a rough estimate, based on insertion fee + 10% eBay sale fee + PayPal transaction fee.

I recently sold £600 worth of old stuff for a family friend, and around £100 of that went in fees.

15. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Selling is 10% plus 3.4% paypal plus 20p for selling price and postage.

16. So 10% of the final sale price, plus 3.4% of the final sale price, plus 20p? Is that it?

17. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

10% of the final sale price, 3.4% of the final sale price AND postage costs plus 20p, ie
    £5 final sale - 50p
    £2 postage plus final price - 22p
    paypal charge - 20p
    Total charge 92p
    The fees and increased post costs finished my little business off completely.

18. OMG yes that is a bit ridiculous isn't it? THanks ever so much. I was under the impression that postage was entirely separate; I thought that was why so many people try to make a couple of quid on it.

19. The cost is still well worth it. Where else would you buy a maintained platform that allows your merchandise to be promoted to potentially millions of customers, for the price ?