1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ebacc

Discussion in 'English' started by millicent_bystander, May 24, 2011.

1. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

It would appear that the only double award Eng/Lit GCSE which is accredited under the new ebacc count is Edexel. We are doing AQA - does anyone have any light to shed on this? Potentially the exam our year 10s are sitting for literature in June will not be valid, which means a waste of a lot of time getting them ready and switching to English if AQA are not accredited under ebacc.

2. Please bear in mind that the English Baccalaureate (EBacc) is a government initiative, not a qualification in itself, and the DfE have stipulated that "English Studies, English Literature, English as a second language and Digital Communication are not included [in the EBacc]".
    All AQA GCSEs are full, accredited qualifications so, despite being excluded from the EBacc, a GCSE in English Literature is still a valued achievement, recognised by colleges, universities and employers.
    For more information and a list of all of the AQA English qualifications that currently count towards the EBacc see: http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/english-bacc/english.php

3. millicent_bystander

I was given what could possibly be described as a 'knee-jerk' reaction to a communication this morning. On closer inspection, English and English language count towards the EBacc - literature has to be taken in conjunction with Language under the new system (which we already knew) but doesn't count towards the EBacc quota, therefore a pass is not deemed necessary. I can only assume that the Edexel 'double award' is a separate GCSE.
    We are all safe with what we are teaching, just another government initiative that seeks to confuse and effectively, IMHO, discredits valid and valuable qualifications.

4. Well said, sir. Exactly right. As ripe for satire as education is, this must be one of the best examples in history...schools chasing a qualification that doesn't even exist. Dire, dire stuff.

5. millicent_bystander

I didn't set out to mislead anyone when I first posted this. Merely that there was a lot of confusion about which exam boards were accredited in the government's eyes - but reviewing the information later, it was all perfectly clear.
    The problem with the EBacc is that it is how schools will be judged even though it was put forward after students had selected their options. Another stick to beat us with. At least the English and maths measuring stick was based on core subjects that were being taken anyway.