1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EBacc vs BTEC

Discussion in 'Science' started by juhi, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Hi all,

happy new year! Apologies for the string of letters forming the subject of this thread!
    Was just wondering how many school were going to ditch BTEC completely now in favour of EBacc numbers or still keep the BTEC for its apparent appeal and engagement for lower ability classes?
    Lemme know ! x

2. Gone, and I am gutted.

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Introducing BTEC for our core only pupils (core science on its own is a very boring course to teach and study) but losing Additional Applied Science

4. Does the Additonal Applied Science (AQA) count as one GCSE? If so, would it be ok to do core and this applied science to still count in the EBacc?

5. No, if additional applied counted we would be doing it. :-(

6. News just in - I wrote to the education dept and have just got an email back.
    Anything with the words applied or BTEC in does not count for teh EBACC
    Anything with the words applied or BTEC in does not count for the "new" basics indicator (maths, english and x2 Science).
    I am going to run with a small number of kids doing BTEC and the bulk doing OCR Gateway core and additional, and the top end doing triple science.

7. Interesting. Any idea when this will be official? We need to make some decisions for our Year 9 students pretty quickly!

8. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

I can confirm that Additional Applied Science will not count towards the EBACC - I received an email this morning from my local science advisor quoting Ron Gibson from the DFES.

9. mousey80

mousey80 Occasional commenter

I would be fuming if I were an exam board after making all that effort over courses that no on will want... Additional applied science or single BTEC? You would do single BTEC as it is the same content as core, if they turn up they will pass and the league tables treat the two qualifications the same.

10. Just looking at performance tables for schools in my borough. Amazing to see how easy it is to spot the schools that have used BTEC to boost figures......very high percentages of students acieving "two good science GCSE's" but low English Bacc figures! Although i guess some of that could be put down to Eng, Maths, Humanities or MFL being the limiting factor!

11. Hums and mfl at our place, we use btec, but only on the bottom ones to get them the five a-cs. Only 12% chose a hum and mfl. So we did well to get the 9% we did!